Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Whats the best way to take the paint off a front bumper

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais, VSII Senator 215i, VZ X8, WL Caprice
I bought a calais front bar for my VS and im planning to paint it myself before proberbly stuffing up and paying sum1 else to do it, anywho whats the best way to take the original paint off. Even if i take the paint down to primer it will save me money if taken to a pro to paint, but as said i'll try to paint it myself so knowing the best way to take paint off will be useful when i stuff it up and need to take the paint off ..........again

Rusty

٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt with VU/VZ bits
Paint Stripper, lethal stuff and wear gloves. Then scrape down with razor and sand if you wanna go that detailed!

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Paint stripper on a plastic bumper? That'll destroy the plastic....

If the paint isn't too bad that's currently on it, just sand it back with 600 wet & dry with water. Get rid of all the marks out of the existing paint, then prime it. If you don't go back to the plastic, you won't need any special primers, just a 1K acrylic primer will be fine. It all depends on how bad the bumper is and how good a job you want, because you might even get away with a rub back and just hit it with some paint and not worry about primer.

It's perfectly fine to paint over the existing paint if it's in decent condition (after a rub back with 600 wet and dry, obviously).

Any pics of the bumper?

bradj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk,vk,vl
Soda blast it, does not leave a profile on the plastic. only removes the paint and you will only need to clean it thoroughly, prime, rub and paint it.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
You can get plastic paint stripper.

Easier just to sand it all off though, seriously a 40min job. You don't have to strip it all just feather what you have to and sand the rest untill its flat.
Feather it with 240 or 320, then finish with 600-800 if you're doing it wet. If you have an orbital sander 400-500 depending on wether or not its a solid or metalic.

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'll throw up sum pics when i can but its good nic. I do you apply the thinners,if i go that way

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
i've found gutters remove bumper paint really easy

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
hmm,as to trees,fences,posts,other cars and small rocks flung up from other cars but none are any useful methods

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
tell that to my missus , shes almost got it down to a fine art