Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what to do with my VY beauty

jontracs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy calais by design (w/ badges)
Hey how's it going? I need a little guidance on what I should do with my 2003 VY calais by design. I bought her 2 years ago and I really don't want to sell it, but, recently the engine died and I have searched numerous wreckers for a replacement with no luck. I am in no way mechanically minded so re-building the engine is also a no go for me.
I was kind of hoping somebody here might know of an engine for sale somewhere or maybe even a collector. If I can't fix it myself then I'd rather sell it to someone who'll look after it.
And if all else fails then my last option is to scrap it. Any suggestions would be very welcome

Attachments

• received_399062002340248.jpeg
    received_399062002340248.jpeg
    260.6 KB · Views: 23

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Depends what has caused the engine to die.

What are the symptoms ?

Have you had a mechanic check it ?

jontracs

Reaction score
Members Ride
Head gasket on drivers side went and caused the bigend bearing to let go, the head gaskets were both fixed then they blew again because of the bigend bearing not being fixed, other than that it's a awesome car and I'd rather get another vy motor and fix her up so I can keep her as I love her, So if you can either point me in the right direction for a replacement motor or a genuine buyer, that would be very much appreciated

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Wreckers, facebook marketplace, gumtree are all places that quite often have engines for sale.

Just a matter of teeing up a mechanic to fit it...

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
And get the old one back. Then practice pulling it apart and putting it back together. Over and over. No gaskets etc. just learning how it goes together. Clean it all so it’s not grot and you could keep it in the spare room to work on or something.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hey how's it going? I need a little guidance on what I should do with my 2003 VY calais by design. I bought her 2 years ago and I really don't want to sell it, but, recently the engine died and I have searched numerous wreckers for a replacement with no luck. I am in no way mechanically minded so re-building the engine is also a no go for me.
I was kind of hoping somebody here might know of an engine for sale somewhere or maybe even a collector. If I can't fix it myself then I'd rather sell it to someone who'll look after it.
And if all else fails then my last option is to scrap it. Any suggestions would be very welcome
I'm curious, what engine do you have v6 or v8?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Ohhhh. Well no wonder you can’t find any at a wrecker. A collectors item if ever there was one in the V6 world.

I’d be getting that rebuilt. You may never get a car again that drives as well as that one.

jontracs

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is the plan, to get a running motor and put it in so I can do a full rebuild on the original motor and then drop her back in with a few extra HP

Reactions: Lex