Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What to buy to replace the ZB?

Paul Smedley

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY23 Tesla Model 3 RWD, MY23 Tesla Model Y RWD
Hi All,

Our MY18 Calais V Liftback will be four years old in August. Given some of the lengthy leads times being quoted on new cars, I'm starting to think about what's next. One of the problems is that we don't particularly like SUVs, preferring a conventional sedan (or even wagon).

I'm also somewhat loathe to buy another car car that isn't at least hybrid - although it probably makes sense to see what happens with EV tax changes that Labor was talking about before the election.

Rough list of things I've had a look at (note - web search only - no test drives yet):
  • Subaru Outback - yes it's Petrol - and officially it's an SUV - but at least looks like a wagon. Downside is the current non-turbo petrol looks to be a bit gutless
  • Subaru WRX Wagon - also petrol - but has a turbo.
  • Polestar 2 - also officially an SUV - and limited availability - but I like the idea of an EV
  • Volvo S60 - mild hybrid - looks sharp - lots of tech - but it's a Volvo :p
  • Tesla Model 3 - hard to find - and lack of Android Auto is a massive turn off
  • Skoda Superb - also petrol - but something a bit different
What else have people considered replacing their ZB with?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
conventional ??
.... if it was me, value for $ and features is the Toyota Camry (normal or hybrid)

ps.. the Skoda SUPERB is NOT superb according to my neighbour who has had one for nearly a year
Its a tin can and he is fighting SKODA under lemon laws (yeah, it is THAT bad)

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I am trying to make the zb last long enough to switch to an ev.
I do 100+km per day for work and at 2 bucks a liter its starting to get beyond a joke.

If i had to do a petrol i would look at scoobydoos or maybe a mazda, toyota but i am not looking for performance or anything i want a daily transporter.

I will miss the gm layout i am used to.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Subaru Outback - yes it's Petrol - and officially it's an SUV - but at least looks like a wagon. Downside is the current non-turbo petrol looks to be a bit gutless

Turbo model is on the way.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
If you're looking under the VW umbrella, how about a Passat Wagon or VW Golf R Wagon?

A WRX Wagon will have some up and go but definitely do your research on what you like or just hold on to your ZB for a little longer...

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Well I think that after my VE Commodore, which I hope to keep for many more years I will go for a Kia Stinger, probably not what you would be interested in if worried about fuel prices but they go like stink if that floats your boat

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Wow, that is impressive, I managed to post the same thing 3 times from typing it all out once. I guess that happens when you are on the road with dodgy internet

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I would cross off the German Corolla and the swedish Camry and the American wind up toys. What does that leave?
EVs cost you in other ways especially if you are plugging it in at home overnight to charge.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
especially if you are plugging it in at home overnight to charge.

The best way for home charging is to get a level 2 charger installed and it will cost about 20 to 30 bucks to charge a tesla 3 for 500km depending on the kwh cost for the power.
The charger aint cheap though and will probably set you back 4k

You can level 1 charge with the supplied charger the ev comes with but it is slow

30 bucks vs 100+ for my weekly commute starts to add up and if i can charge on the weekend during the day i can utilise my solar panels and cut the cost down.

Time will tell over the next few years if it will be worth it.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The best way for home charging is to get a level 2 charger installed and it will cost about 20 to 30 bucks to charge a tesla 3 for 500km depending on the kwh cost for the power.
The charger aint cheap though and will probably set you back 4k

You can level 1 charge with the supplied charger the ev comes with but it is slow

30 bucks vs 100+ for my weekly commute starts to add up and if i can charge on the weekend during the day i can utilise my solar panels and cut the cost down.

Time will tell over the next few years if it will be worth it.
Jeepers that's even more than I thought. The energy retailers must love the push to EVs! They're probably lobbying for them behind the scenes :)