Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What size do interceptors come in?

Nick Scali

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Caprice
Good morning all,

Curious about what sizes interceptors came in, I'm looking at changing the 16" WH alloys on my VS Caprice over to interceptors as I like the look.

Did they come out in a 16" variation pre VE? I've been trying to find them on eBay with no luck, but I've seen a few 15" ones floating around.

Ideally I'd like to stay with a 16" wheel, could probably go down to 15" but I'm suspect on tyre choices there, its getting hard to get good grippy tyres in 15" sizes with a higher load rating I'd need to stay legal, may consider going up to the BCI 17" aftermarket variant.

Thanks guys.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Good morning all,

Curious about what sizes interceptors came in, I'm looking at changing the 16" WH alloys on my VS Caprice over to interceptors as I like the look.

Did they come out in a 16" variation pre VE? I've been trying to find them on eBay with no luck, but I've seen a few 15" ones floating around.

Ideally I'd like to stay with a 16" wheel, could probably go down to 15" but I'm suspect on tyre choices there, its getting hard to get good grippy tyres in 15" sizes with a higher load rating I'd need to stay legal, may consider going up to the BCI 17" aftermarket variant.

Thanks guys.
16" only on VE, seen a few on pre ve's center's drilled out

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Good morning all,

Thanks guys.

1676923353587.png

Can't say I've ever seen interceptors on a Commmodore

These are interceptors in 14"...Won't fit your Statesman though

Last edited:

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Why do people call steelies 'Interceptors' ?

The (never used) spare on my VZ Crewman is a 16x7 steelie, so they are around. Dunno what the offset is.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
Why do people call steelies 'Interceptors' ?

The (never used) spare on my VZ Crewman is a 16x7 steelie, so they are around. Dunno what the offset is.
My understanding of the lore is this ~

standard steelies were 15x6, and police/BT1 got the wider 15x7s, the V8s were 'interceptors' or 'chasers' and boom, you have wheels so named.

I have always known them as 'stockies' or 'steelies' in the 15x6 and 'cop rims' 'chasers' or 'interceptors' in the 15x7s

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak

https://www.bciwheels.com.au/modern-alloy

this joint sells new repro in a variety of sizes and offsets

Had the BCI 18s on the ute for a time when were were doing fair bit of towing.

1676934348577.png

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My understanding of the lore is this ~

standard steelies were 15x6, and police/BT1 got the wider 15x7s, the V8s were 'interceptors' or 'chasers' and boom, you have wheels so named.

I have always known them as 'stockies' or 'steelies' in the 15x6 and 'cop rims' 'chasers' or 'interceptors' in the 15x7s
Inspired by Mad Max, no doubt.

Nick Scali

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Caprice
16" only on VE, seen a few on pre ve's center's drilled out

Might be an option, get the VE ones then have someone machine out the centers.

https://www.bciwheels.com.au/modern-alloy

this joint sells new repro in a variety of sizes and offsets

I'm considering their 17x7" variation but I like the chunky tyre look of the 16s with the big sidewalls, and you can still get decent 16" tyres (Potenza RE003 is available in 16")

Had the BCI 18s on the ute for a time when were were doing fair bit of towing.

View attachment 248316

That looks tough as :cool:

Thanks for your help everyone, couple options on the table, interesting about the VZ Crewman spare wheel.