Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What is happening to GM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Executive
In 20years it might be some African brand because global manufacturing has moved to the next most disadvantaged region of the world after SE Asia.
It would be ironic if ford bought Holden, but I really hope that doesn’t happen, imagine Holdens with barras….

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
YES, Tom Walkinshaw = that VL eventually became HSV , his son owns/runs = now GMSV = to keep business alive post GM Holden can't blame them = keep business alive and people employed and supply.
But unfortunately = even more niche( priced out of = exclusive ) than before = $100k + Silverado or $145K+ 2 seat sports cars ) verious a reasonable priced performance sedan/ wagon /ute== lost the people plot .
toffee nozed !!!
Yes , I looked at joining NSW HSV club ( because of my VS Maloo), went to a few meets but last one missius attended as well and spelt a few home truths to me = lots of toffee nozed = we're above you/ not very welcoming = ( there were a couple of exceptions but overall!!! )WTF = a slightly more performance car than a Holden SS .
Might add have joined a local car club = way more friendly = = their motto = if you like we like= so much variety and friendship!!

Sorry got a bit of a rant going= carried away!!!!!
I had similar experience with the local HSV club as well initially. I have a VS and it was very VE/VF and toffee nose boys club was the vibe. Was very yikes.

club eventually made some changes and I ended up joining a while later after the changes. I didn’t end up remaining a member however. Kept my other club memberships for club rego and club days.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

48-215

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajerodore
If I read US right on various forums over a couple of decades, it has a lot to do with the US health system. When you retire, someone sitll has to pay for your employee health care. And GM was very burdened with debt from retirees that didnt die early enough.

Add in they are too big to fail, and that mentality permeates the corporate level. They refused for example to see that Americans were buying Jap and Euro efficiency during the fuel crisis of the 70s, and that stayed to a fair extent. Nah, we build em this way and what are you gonna do, not buy em.... attitude

Its never been Aussie anyway, the 48-215 was US designed during the last years of the war and never used. Then sold to us. They sent US designers here until i dont recall when, and the Commodores were Opels, VB to the first widebody. The TV ad for the VN promoted the German design aspect to attract buyers.

Someone did the maths, and Ford often produced slightly more Aussie cars than anything Holden made, IIRC it was like 65% for Holden, and 67% for Ford. Holdens real claim to fame should be the 308... and the REPCO redesign that won F1. Everything else was lies.

Someone made a shitload of money out of the old Fishermans bend site wonder how much GM made out of selling the Dandenong plant site they were given that land to begin with. Bet ya GM paid fuckall tax to the Australian people.
How much money did GM bleed out of the Australian people this century? I'll never be buying anything GM ever again.
Every Commodore, was subsidised by taxpayers.. Cant remember the number but the Aus govco made large annual contributions to keep GM going here. Its the thing the government pulled the pin on and Holden said goodnight.

It would be ironic if ford bought Holden, but I really hope that doesn’t happen, imagine Holdens with barras….
The wide body (VN on) was intended to have RB25s. Id prefer a bigger forced I six, slightly undersquare.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I had similar experience with the local HSV club as well initially. I have a VS and it was very VE/VF and toffee nose boys club was the vibe. Was very yikes.

club eventually made some changes and I ended up joining a while later after the changes. I didn’t end up remaining a member however. Kept my other club memberships for club rego and club days.
I previously owned two HSV's and after having seen them at an event would have never contemplated joining them. Apart from a 90's GTSR they were all late model VE's. At that time there were no VF's. As soon as they got to the event out came the cleaning gear. They certainly made no attempt to mix with us common Commodore people.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro

I am wondering now whether to join ( if you don't need to go to any events or meetings , which I think you do =so no join ) but to have some contact to maybe get ( If needed/wanted ) HSV specific parts .
AS said if have to attend a number of events/meetings = it won't happen.
Meeting are in Parramatta area, Sydney, I'm top of lake mac ( so Newcastle ) = 150 kms + one way = to not be Hi ,how u going ,where you from ETC by at at least a couple of people .
AS said the club I joined = fair size Facebook wise but way smaller actual financial wise , friendly, and lots of different cars.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
I previously owned two HSV's and after having seen them at an event would have never contemplated joining them. Apart from a 90's GTSR they were all late model VE's. At that time there were no VF's. As soon as they got to the event out came the cleaning gear. They certainly made no attempt to mix with us common Commodore people.

Yeap , these people weren't pulling cleaning stuff but the attitude was the same = we own a modern HSV .
Now, overall and really I don't care whether others make a fuss of my/early Maloos because I love it and that's all that really matters.
BUT you're an HSV club = so HSV only = so very limited already.
And NOT ONE person on 3 occasions ( sorry I lie one couple , who owned a VT i clubsport did) cared = an early Maloo = how long u owned it ETC= it's another HSV = lets find out about and hopefully encourage to join our club.