Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

what did you do to your car today?

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
What's wrong with an ASX? Mother in Law has one and it's been great. Same with the wife's Outlander.
Personal taste, I dislike looking at it, and I dislike how it handles and performs, and I don't find it comfortable on long trips

For a modern petrol 2.0ltr it is a slug that handles like a wet sponge

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Went to SCA Manukau to get some 3/8" hose for the catch can, checked online and they showed as having stock....nope:(
Then went to Blackwoods Manukau to pick up some brass fittings.... nil stock, all at the Takanini branch :mad:

Drove down to Takanini SCA and got my hose, whipped around the corner to Blackwoods and managed to get one of the fittings I need but the others are only at their distribution centre in Highbrook. Arghhh.

Changed the fitting on the catch can and fitted the new hose, re-routing it a bit to give better clearance around the TB. Put the newly painted elbow back on and start on fitting blower boost bypass valve. First bolt goes in fine. 2nd bolt a bit tight, like it's always been but this time it just doesn't feel right and sure enough, after removing the valve and trying the bolt by itself it's bloody cross threaded. I suspect this bolt hole was never 100% from the factory as the felt wrong the first time I took it out.

There isn't enough room to get a thread tap in there without removing the fuel rails and associated crap :mad:

Cleaned up and not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow.

**** it, I was less than 1/2 hour from having the whole top of the engine completely assembled except my new coolant bleed system that I still need to get 2 more fitting for (from Highbrook).

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Went to SCA Manukau to get some 3/8" hose for the catch can, checked online and they showed as having stock....nope:(
Then went to Blackwoods Manukau to pick up some brass fittings.... nil stock, all at the Takanini branch :mad:

Drove down to Takanini SCA and got my hose, whipped around the corner to Blackwoods and managed to get one of the fittings I need but the others are only at their distribution centre in Highbrook. Arghhh.

Changed the fitting on the catch can and fitted the new hose, re-routing it a bit to give better clearance around the TB. Put the newly painted elbow back on and start on fitting blower boost bypass valve. First bolt goes in fine. 2nd bolt a bit tight, like it's always been but this time it just doesn't feel right and sure enough, after removing the valve and trying the bolt by itself it's bloody cross threaded. I suspect this bolt hole was never 100% from the factory as the felt wrong the first time I took it out.

There isn't enough room to get a thread tap in there without removing the fuel rails and associated crap :mad:

Cleaned up and not sure what I'm going to do tomorrow.

**** it, I was less than 1/2 hour from having the whole top of the engine completely assembled except my new coolant bleed system that I still need to get 2 more fitting for (from Highbrook).
What if you grind a tap short and fit a ¼” socket on the end? Not ideal but would work if you are slow and careful

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
No room for a socket. Grinding the tap has crossed my mind. Considering making a thread chaser from a cap screw.

Part of the problem has always been actually getting a socket on the bolt head, I can just get a 1/4" socket with uni joint on it and you're kinda working in the dark by feel. It's in a **** spot with the fuel rail fitted unfortunately.

This is the bugger,
20231003_220525.jpg

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Have you got a ratcheting ring spanner?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I do but I've decided the fuel rail is coming off, it's more work but will mean chances of a good outcome increase drastically. Just making up a little attachment to my garage vacuum cleaner so I can get into all the nooks and crannies to clean everything before I lift the fuel rail/injectors out.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Bought 83.72L ($200) of petrol. Hopefully this is enough to see me through for a fortnight, especially when I had probably at least 20L in the tank.