Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What are all the ve engines and what are the ones to avoid

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
So far ive got...

Good: LFX

Avoid: LLT and anything that SIDI avoid them too

What other engine codes are on the ve?

Also on carsales.com theres no mention of the engine codes, is there another way to know if its an LFX for example...by the size or the torque...or the 210kws are the LFXs?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Good: LFX

Avoid: LLT and anything that SIDI avoid them too
Well, the LFX is a SIDI engine, so that kinda makes your list a bit lopsided.

The LLT is largely just an LFX without integrated exhaust manifolds with a few other differences like slightly higher compression. The only thing that's really wrong with them compared to an LFX is that they're not particularly common because they were only used for a couple of model years.

You can tell the engine type by the car's model year and displacement, or plug the VIN into a VIN decoder. LFX was some time in 2011 onwards I believe. If there's no engine cover, the LFX has a plastic intake manifold.

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Personally most of the issues I've heard with the LLT grenading has been lack of maintenance or abuse. They do still have chain issues but that was pretty much an across the board issue with the VE's (My 2012 LLT needs chains, it's at around 180,000km, but the codes been on for about 70,000km now it's not lost any power or rattled yet so I haven't worried too much and I'm lazy).

The LLT/LFX are the two I'd pick which were the engines used in the Series 2 SV6/Calais. The LFX is still SIDI and was a much improved version of the LLT and didn't suffer nearly as many chain issues but both make good power and are super economical.

There was also the LFW which was the 3.0L used in the base models which while reasonably reliable was pretty gutless compared to the 3.6's.

I'd steer clear of any series 1 stuff, they weren't direct injection which means not as good economy or power, and were the worst in terms of chain issues.

Any of the 3.6 SIDI engines (LLT/LFX) are really nice daily drivers, 210kw and really good fuel economy. Just for the love of god never touch the exhuast, please please don't touch the exhaust.

None will ever be as tough or reliable as the ol 3.8 though.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I'd steer clear of any series 1 stuff, they weren't direct injection which means not as good economy or power, and were the worst in terms of chain issues.
The other reason to get the later series 2 SIDI vehicles (in auto anyway) is because of the 6 speed transmission which improves the fuel efficiency as well.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Series 1: There was LE0 in the povo packs and LY7 on VE as well.
Series 1.5 introduced direct injection LFX and that is where things get massively difficult if you try drop direct injected engines into the series 1’s. It’s a deep rabbit hole.
Series 2 as above posts outline.
There was also the crummy 3ltr LF1

Last edited:

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
The other reason to get the later series 2 SIDI vehicles (in auto anyway) is because of the 6 speed transmission which improves the fuel efficiency as well.
Not to mention they actually drive nicely.

The 5 speed was pretty janky and the 4 speed was about 20 years out of date for that driveline.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Not to mention they actually drive nicely.

The 5 speed was pretty janky and the 4 speed was about 20 years out of date for that driveline.
For sure. Have driven a couple of S2 VEs and the auto was a lot smoother than the 5 speed was in my old SV6. Not to mention that there were a lot of Commodores made using the 6 speed so replacement transmissions and spare parts shouldn’t be unobtainium.

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
I'd say LE0 and LY7 are the worst VE's to get and the LF1, LTT and LFX are the better VE's to get, at least in V6 form... Make sure you get one that has been well maintained and SS mufflers are the only exhaust modifications you should do, otherwise it's going to sound like garbage...