Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vy thermostat

peanutz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 commodore equip 11 3.8 ecotech auto
The self adhesive type? I found those hit and miss. Definitely recommend replacing the housing if it's never been, I also recommend using OEM gaskets like from speeds and applying aviation sealant on both sides. Also be sure to torque them, two pass 20 then 34nm. This is where leaks usually stem from on alloy

peanutz

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have had the car for four years and never had a problem other than a puncture or two. Yeah l will definitely change the housing, solves all. I have not used a sealant on the gaskets as the advice was not to, how ever it gives the extra layer of protection.Thanks

peanutz

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have had the car for four years and never had a problem other than a puncture or two. Yeah l will definitely change the housing, solves all. I have not used a sealant on the gaskets as the advice was not to, how ever it gives the extra layer of protection.Thanks

peanutz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Oh yeah l did not torque them.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
That advice is generically sound, most turn to RTV which can be bad news. Aviation sealant goes on thin, never hardens, fills all the gaps and resists heat, pressure and chemicals

Torque is the difference between 12 months and 12 years

peanutz

Reaction score
Members Ride
That advice is generically sound, most turn to RTV which can be bad news. Aviation sealant goes on thin, never hardens, fills all the gaps and resists heat, pressure and chemicals

Torque is the difference between 12 months and 12 years

peanutz

Reaction score
Members Ride
So l have bought Permatex Aviation Sealant Liquid. I bought it in preparation that the latest attempt of fitting gasket went the way of the first. So l as we see should of went with my gut instinct, plus should of torqued those bolts. I changed the water pump but did not torque thilose either. Better do them too, at what tension do l torque those.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
So l have bought Permatex Aviation Sealant Liquid. I bought it in preparation that the latest attempt of fitting gasket went the way of the first. So l as we see should of went with my gut instinct, plus should of torqued those bolts. I changed the water pump but did not torque thilose either. Better do them too, at what tension do l torque those.

FT

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
I changed the water pump
Did you put sealant on the water pump bolts on assembly? If not, it will leak like a sieve.

I usually add the sealant to the thermostat housing bolts too on assembly.

Last edited:

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Two pass again from the workshop manual:

Water Pump To Front Cover Bolts 14 - 18nm
Water Pump To Cylinder Block Bolts 20 - 30nm
Water Pump Pulley Attaching Bolts 10 - 16nm