Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VY Auto not shifting from 2nd to 3rd, just revs 4L60E

Luke Johnson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series II (Oct 2003) Supercharged V6
Normal VY trans attached to normal V6. Was running ok, but then I got home one day and checked the fluid and found it basically bone dry (in park, while running etc). So I filled it up, and drove off. Immediately it no longer shifted from 2nd to 3rd. It will basically rev, as if in neutral, but won't engage 3rd gear at all. If I put it in 2nd manually it will stay in 2nd and drive fine, no slipping. Also, it will shift up and down 1st to 2nd no worries.

I'm wondering whether this is electrical (throttle position sensor or solenoid), or if it is more serious like a burnt out 3 to 4 clutch pack in the auto? Which would be weird because it was fine until I filled it up. I guess I spilled some fluid down near the dipstick but I can't see that causing a problem.

Also, now the fluid is showing a bit high on the dipstick, so I don't know whether too much fluid would cause a problem like this? I can try and siphon some out if it could. The fluid still looks red but it does have a bit of a smell.

Luke Johnson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series II (Oct 2003) Supercharged V6
Normal VY trans attached to normal V6. Was running ok, but then I got home one day and checked the fluid and found it basically bone dry (in park, while running etc). So I filled it up, and drove off. Immediately it no longer shifted from 2nd to 3rd. It will basically rev, as if in neutral, but won't engage 3rd gear at all. If I put it in 2nd manually it will stay in 2nd and drive fine, no slipping. Also, it will shift up and down 1st to 2nd no worries.

I'm wondering whether this is electrical (throttle position sensor or solenoid), or if it is more serious like a burnt out 3 to 4 clutch pack in the auto? Which would be weird because it was fine until I filled it up. I guess I spilled some fluid down near the dipstick but I can't see that causing a problem.

Also, now the fluid is showing a bit high on the dipstick, so I don't know whether too much fluid would cause a problem like this? I can try and siphon some out if it could. The fluid still looks red but it does have a bit of a smell.

Really hoping this is a 2/3 solenoid (B I think), but is there any way to know for sure without dropping the pan?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
If the transmission was very low, you may have worn the clutch plates, and since the new fluid it can cause the plates to become very slippery and no longer work and you have burnt away all the friction material.
You may be up for a new transmission. You can always purchase a used one, swap out the solenoids, check again.
Failing that swap over the entire transmission.
A failed solenoid should show up an engine light.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Sounds like the 3/4 clutches are burnt out.
It's not a 2-3 solenoid, simply solenoid B
If it was faulty i doubt it'd be stuck on and as above your CEL would be on and it'd be in LHM with 2nd and 3rd (very noticeable with slow sluggish starts)

chart_zpsyihiyt2a.jpg

caaf

Reaction score
Website
www.aurfscan.com.au
Members Ride
VYII Equipe S/wagon V6
What's sad is these transmissions are almost not easily broken, just had mine serviced at 290k tranny man and myself very happy with the internals.. Mind running things that require lube without will never yield a positive result. Recon it's going to look messy when that pan comes off.

ttdamez

Reaction score
Members Ride
03 calais 5.7l v8
or could be air trapped in there ,I recently had transmission off of a bmw when reinstalling and topping up took 40 min in driveway idling and cycling from park to drive to reverse back to park takes a lot to warm fluid enough to get in all nook and crannies after 40 min trans working fine ,before topping up was revving and no go ,hope this helps [also cheaper than taking to mechanic]

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
or could be air trapped in there ,I recently had transmission off of a bmw when reinstalling and topping up took 40 min in driveway idling and cycling from park to drive to reverse back to park takes a lot to warm fluid enough to get in all nook and crannies after 40 min trans working fine ,before topping up was revving and no go ,hope this helps [also cheaper than taking to mechanic]

Hrm, if it was air in the pump stopping it from picking up and circulating trans fluid or low level don't you think it'd be all gears selected and not just 3/4 seeing the car is moving?