Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VT-VX] VX VU:- How to change shocks and springs

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
If you don't want to reuse the rear springs just take a grinder to them. I wish I did. It was a pain to get them out even with spring compressors

Lol that is because you got to drop the control arm.

markbaja

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Exec & SZ Territory Diesel
That's right, you undo the lower shock bolt, then the rear sway bar link, then you can get drop the rear control arm enough to basically take the rear springs out by hand. The new, shorter springs will then pop back in, raise everything up, redo the two bolts you undone, and that's basically it! 10-15 minute job, with taking wheels off and putting them back on!

That's for the rears of course.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

MickVYSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
What about greasing up the bushes? What does and doesn't need grease?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Polyurethane bushes need grease, rubber don't usually need it

Kernal

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bit of a thread dig. This is such a simple problem but i cant figure out how to get the brake hose off the strut assembly.
Any pointers???

sniper_HASH

Reaction score
Website
fordforums.com.au
Members Ride
WM STATESMAN V6
Yeh i tried twisting and pushing it out at the same time but it still wont come out.

the holder for the brake line, is made to slot the pipe in just right, if u look at the plastic bit that goes in the holder, its not a complete circle its got a gap, when u turn it, it can slide out. just gotta turn it the right amount and pull it out., last resort would be bending the holder a little with a plier then taking the line out and bending it back again.

VYMAD

SILVERFOX
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY EXECUTIVE S2
Thread digging, I know but instead of starting a new one I'll just ask here. If I change front and rear shocks, should I replace my standard springs? Have been told by a couple of mates that it's worth doing the springs when doing the shocks, VY Executive sedan, 190,000 k's. Holden dealer has standard front struts for a surprisingly reasonable price, will change the rear shocks again with Monroe GT gas, as it is a while since I did them. So yep just wondering if springs do wear over time? Cheers.