Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vx rear suspension help/ideas needed

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Hi guys I have a 2001 vx ss and I have a problem with the rear tyres rubbing and exhaust hitting, it had 235/40-18s on the rear in the weekend I replaced them with 245/40-18s (nitto 555) now the slighter higher profile of the new tyres stopped some of the exhaust scraping but the tyres are rubbing now, I also replaced the rear springs as to try and raise it up as the tyres are sitting up under the guards it had super low King springs and I've gone to a low dobi sport Spring which are physically taller than the King springs but the car hasn't raised at all!!! And the tyre rubbing/exhaust scraping seems to be slightly worse:banstick: any ideas??

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Where is it rubbing? Do you know the rim offset?

That doesn't sound right about the springs, maybe they gave you the wrong ones? You can get spring spacers to raise em up. How bad is the camber? Maybe fit a camber kit in the rear.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Firstly, the tyres are taller and wider than the original ones fitted, which won't help with the rubbing problem....

2ndly....Seeing as you have replaced the springs and the body hasn't lifted, it'd be wise to fit some springs to actually raise the body and see if it stops scraping

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Firstly, the tyres are taller and wider than the original ones fitted, which won't help with the rubbing problem....

2ndly....Seeing as you have replaced the springs and the body hasn't lifted, it'd be wise to fit some springs to actually raise the body and see if it stops scraping
Yea I get the whole tyre thing but the part I don't get is the new springs are physically higher than the ones that came out but the car still hasn't lifted was wandering if that was pointing to worn rear shocks or something like that?? Also any susgestions for springs I could try?

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Where is it rubbing? Do you know the rim offset?

That doesn't sound right about the springs, maybe they gave you the wrong ones? You can get spring spacers to raise em up. How bad is the camber? Maybe fit a camber kit in the rear.
the rims are a Ssa power and 42p offset, I bought them from Manakau tyre and auto they said that they were a commodore specific rim

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Spring free length isn't a good comparison of how it will perform when compressed.

A 245 rear tire shouldn't be a huge issue on a VX. going from a 235/40 to 245/40 is only about 8mm taller overall and 10mm wider. I believe the standard offset is 48p so with 42p the rim will sit 6mm further out towards the guard.

Do you know where it is rubbing?

I'd consider putting the King springs back in and then using something like this Whiteline W72042 to make ride height adjustments.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Will have to jack the car up and see where it's rubbing, the King springs also seemed to be too soft as well, where as the dobi springs are a little bit more rigid/stiffer which is what I was after

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Odd, King springs have a reputation for giving a hard ride more so than other brands of lowering springs.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
how much would some standard fe2 springs lift it up you think?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yea I get the whole tyre thing but the part I don't get is the new springs are physically higher than the ones that came out but the car still hasn't lifted was wandering if that was pointing to worn rear shocks or something like that?? Also any susgestions for springs I could try?

The springs might be physcially higher, but when they compress the height may not have altered to a satisfactory height required.

By the sounds of it, putting higher profile tyres on has solved the exhaust scrapping issue, but honestly, getting FE2 springs (as suggested) and putting them in, may help with other issues.....You may have to go for a 4 point camber kit in the rear, to help stand the rear tyres up properly, to completely solve the scrapping issues totally.....And also by fitting this kit, should help reduce the inner edge wear, associated with this era commodore.

Spring choice.....Pedders springs are a lot harsher ride when compared with King springs, in my opinion....I have tried both and was happier with the Kings for a "softer" ride...I have also dealt with people that preferred Pedders over Kings for a softer ride, so it's a call I'm not willing to take

FE2 springs are 2" lower than standard height.....I have also hear mention that they are only 1 1/2" lower than standard....That being said, I have FE2 style in my VC and it is 2" lower than standard, so again another call I'm not going to make