Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VTII SS brake upgrade

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
As the title suggests, I would like some options for upgrading the brakes on my VT SS and get familiar with what is available at different price points. IMO the stock brakes' stopping power does not quite keep up with the performance of the rest of the car so any ideas will be appreciated.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Some options are as follows -

1) Slotted standard sized rotors all round with decent pads - fairly cheap. Good upgrade.
2) 330/315mm HSV upgrade - Can be found on ebay/forums at a decent price. Another solid upgrade.
3) 343/315 4 pot HSV/AP racing upgrade - Consider lube as they aren't cheap. Very good upgrade.
4) 381/355 6 pot Harrop Ultimate package - You will sell your first second and third borns along with your right nut for a set. The best.

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
Thanks for your reply. The 330/315mm HSV brakes appear popular. Are these generally available as a package or is it as simple as replacing the rotors/pads?

Dirbatua

AWOL!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS Series 2
the HSV/AP upgrades are going to cost a ####ing fortune btw and you can't just bolt up 330mm rotors and 315mm rotors onto your stock calipers either.

You can get a 343mm front VE caliper upgrade and a 315mm rear VE Caliper upgrade kit to suit VT/VX for abnout $1500 bucks.

or a 330mm front and 315mm rear upgrade for a bit less then that off ebay.

You get a bit more surface area for braking even without the extra pistons and the larger rotor cools faster too for track use.

And you need at least 17" wheels to fit 330mm and 18" wheels to fit 343mm

These guys run auctions regularly on all kits.

343mm PK1 Commodore VB VZ BIG Brake KIT HSV Size PBR HSV R8 Twin Piston Billet | eBay

00SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VT SS S2
Thanks for your suggestions. I am running 17's and the 330/315mm set up seems ideal. So for this I would need to replace the rotors, pads and calipers?

Turtl3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais V8 International
That is correct.

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
Look for second hand ones. Heaps cheaper.