Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VT V6 Oil question

S/K Commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive S2 9c1
Hey guys,

just wanting some advice from people of the ecotec owners with high mileages (over 300,000kms) before I go and speak to a mechanic and then work out my next step.

Now about 4-6 weeks ago, my s2 vt v6(315,000kms) was getting a little hotter than normal, temp usually sits just under half which is normal till it started going up a little over half way when warmed up after starting the car from sitting for short period of time.
Once it went over half way a little, it would come back down to normal pretty quick but I still knew it wasn’t normal as the car does not go over half way unless something is wrong, ect, low on coolant.
So I went home and check coolant (when cooled down of course) and it was full, I then checked the oil and it was on the add mark which explained why it was getting hot, (not enough lubricantion), and I straight away went out and put just under 2 litres in which brought it to just under the full mark. I was scheduled to do a service within that week anyway which I still did.
Once doing that oil change and checking the level, it was full and all good and this was about 3-4 weeks ago give or take. But just yesterday I checked the oil level again (so 3-4 weeks since service) and the oil is down to quarter way up from the add mark, (so dropped 3/4 from full since service). There is never oil under the car on the ground even after parked for a few days, no oil in sight, no smoke at all out of the exhaust at all. Now I have owned the car for little over 2-3 years, brought it when it had 251,000 kms and now has 315,000 kms and always from memory ran Castrol GTX 20W50 in it except one time when I used another brand and grade as a top up 2 get me out of trouble for a night but that was over 12 months ago but no problems with the motor itself, I can’t see any oil under car like I said or blowing any smoke at all, the oil is just disappearing. One of my good mates who has a lot of knowledge in ecotec motors thinks it could the oil im using, apparently that Oil I’m using is yes for higher milage and older cars, but mainly for like racing cars that engines get really hot or cars towing heavy loads frequently or frequently under alot of loads which apart from being an older car with high kms, my car doesn’t do either so apparently the engine is just burning the oil as it’s way to thick to travel through all the chambers properly and just burning away and I need a thinner oil, still thick but not that thick, more like 5W30 or 10W40. Just wanting some advice as I don’t wanna buy more oil to fill it up and find out I need to change oil grade and waste money where I can just do it right the first time, again below key points.

-S2 VT V6
-315,000 Kms
- Current Oil Use, Castrol GTX 20W50

Cheers Heaps People

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
20W50 is fine in your engine. I'd be looking at the underneath of the car to see if there is any oil, if it is leaking, it may only leak while driving and not while sitting, but then some oil on the car would still drip off.

You are checking the oil when cold and on flat ground?

H

harrop.senator

It's probably weeping from everywhere and getting dirt trapped in it. If it has absolutely no oil weepage anywhere at 315 it was rebuilt at 200.

Oil burning is also an issue with them at that age. The valve stem seals will be hard and crumbly , rings may still be seating alright. They oval easily but the ring seal lasts awhile on them.

I'd be guessing the front main , rear main and sump was weeping at those KMs.

I've not seen many ecotecs with over 100k that don't weep from somewhere haha.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If there's not a massive amount of oil leakage it's eating it.
It can eat it from the stem seals, the oil control ring or the PCV system.

S/K Commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive S2 9c1
Thanks guys,
I have spoken to my mechanic and he has advised me that even tho my car is an older car and higher kms, the 20W50 is way to thick and I needed thinner oil to start with and go from there, I have now done an oil change with thinner oil and going to see how that goes,
Cheers people

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Thanks guys,
I have spoken to my mechanic and he has advised me that even tho my car is an older car and higher kms, the 20W50 is way to thick and I needed thinner oil to start with and go from there, I have now done an oil change with thinner oil and going to see how that goes,
Cheers people

I'm a mechanic by trade and so are two other people here in this thread.
20w-50 is fine in a engine with 200km+ that is speced for 10w-40.
It's an arcitectur from the early 70's so there is no reason you can't run a 20w-50.
All your mechanic is doing is looking on netlube and telling you what netlube recommends.
Call penrite technical assistance your self anyone can or castrol, valvoline ect.

S/K Commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT executive S2 9c1
I only went 2 my mechanic 4 a second opinion, I’m not qualified at all but I do know my own car and so does my mechanic mate who know my car aswell, yeah 20W50 is ok, but not for my car, my partner has the same car but s1 and run 20w50 with no problems but I do so I’m going with what I think is best thank u but also will say, and is a fact, qualified doesn’t mean know everything about every car, no1 knows everything, people dnt have 2 be qualified or have a trade to know mechanics, as I said, I’m not qualified but I definitely know cars and my own car and my mechanic knows my car, asking for an opinion doesn’t mean myself or a mechanic doesn’t know what we on about, it was a simple question wanting opinions not remarks like 20w50 is fine and we mechanics by trade so we know what we talking about, at the end of the day, being qualified or by trade doesn’t mean u know everything, just a piece of paper or award saying ur qualified, some1 with 20 years of mechanic experience without qualified can know just as much if not more than some1 with a qualification and u can even run a mechanic business without being qualified really the only difference I see is that if ur running a business without a fully qualified mechanic certificate, u can’t legally perform RWC or be VACC certified where being qualified u can. But I think this is the last time I post a question for advice or opinion as way to many people think they know everything and they correct and every1 else is wrong, like they know it all when no1 is perfect and knows everything, very rude i say

H

harrop.senator

If it's burning or leaking now the 15w 40 or 10 W 40 will be worse. Make sure you check it every time you fill the tank up at 500kms. If don't do complete tanks every 1000kms max between checking.

H

harrop.senator

Sorry for thinking I know everything. I've just never seen an Ecotec that didn't weep with over 100k on it.

I think if that's your attitude on asking an open forum for opinions. Which is all they are this isn't the place for you.

Good luck with it and if you find where a litre or two of oils going in a car that leaks absolutely nothing or burns it, post back. Be a very interesting find that maybe all of us can learn from.