Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Statesman Caprice V6 Won't turn over after flat battery.

destino

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
I drove my VS Statesman Caprice into the garage about 6 months ago and the battery has since gone flat. I charged it up and tried to start the car. All the dash lights work but the engine doesn't crank. I changed the battery and the same issue. The red security light is flashing. Just wondering if the security system has likely kicked in and preventing it from starting.

I would appreciate any guidance the knowledgable folks her could provide. The car was working fine when last driven.

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Do you have a spare key? Does security LED flash for both keys? Leave the ignition on for 2 hours and see if it goes out.

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Do you have a spare key? Does security LED flash for both keys? Leave the ignition on for 2 hours and see if it goes out.
Should only take one hour but I agree with this method. Or pressing unlock on key just before attempting to start

destino

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
Thanks for that. I'll try that later today and get back to you. If the battery is flat in the key could that cause this issue.?

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Ok. Good luck.
The key battery is not required to start unless the little knob on the key fob isn’t in contact with the chrome slipring that surrounds the ignition barrel. That contact is how the bcm communicates with the key, just double check both surfaces are clean and touching.
Also double check the little black Pozidriv (not a typo) screws in the key fob are tight

destino

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
It Lives.

Thanks very much for your help. I washed the garage dust off it and then promptly bogged it in the back yard and had to wash it again.

I tried to start it after about an hour and whilst it took a little while to start its seems to be going well.

I'll connect the computer later and see what it has to say.

Again Many Thanks

I've attached a couple of photographs of the car.

Peter

Attachments

• Calais.png
    Calais.png
    514.9 KB · Views: 91

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
Awesome. Glad to hear!
I miss seeing those things driving around, treat her well

destino

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
Thanks for that. It belonged to my late father and as it was going so well and was in such good nick I thought i'd keep it on the road. Need to fix a few small things. Once they are done I think i'll try and get club plates on it so its not so expensive to keep on the road. Any suggestion for a club that would be suitable. Cheers Peter

slipknot09

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais
All good. I have no idea about Club stuff. Sorry

I noticed your rear bar is missing.
If I remember correctly they used the same bar cover as the wagon in case you were chasing one. There was a bit of work though

destino

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs statesman
Thanks for the suggestion. the bumper bar is in the garage. I'm giving it a sand and repaint. Nearly finished and soon to be back on the beast. Cheers and thanks.

Peter