Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS L67 Ute Project

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
I'll be honest and say I don't love the interior. But I do like what's under the bonnet, and it should go alright. I didn't see any upgrades to the trans. If you plan on spending coin on a stally it would be worth upgrading the trans internals, if you can afford it. Just that if the internals fail, you can damage the new stally.
Some say to shift kit, but talking to my trans builder he recommends strengthening up the trans before doing so. According to him, the shift enhancement kit can jam the trans into gear a bit hard for the old internals and place them at risk.
I'm considering getting my trans overhauled next year, depending on finances and no major issues on the ute that cost me a lot of coin. Trans rebuild and strengthen will be around $2k removed and fitted, $300 is the remove and refit cost.

Yeah I hear ya.. trying to do this on a budget if possible.. I'll get a price when I get the stall converter etc.

I was hoping to get out of it for 1K installed, (the stall converter)

This car isn't going to be doing much apart from racing and small runs to the tip :)

Plus the trip to and from the drag stips etc. So we'll see how the standard auto goes I guess.. especially in the short term.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Race car....

the singe 2.5" exhaust will choke it too

I looked at the exhaust yesterday, pretty tidy setup, but yep 2.5.

In a perfect world (dreaming) between the headers and the exhaust, I'd have a Y piece. One goes to the exhaust the other to the atmosphere :)
operated from inside the cab.. so when you go to the drags, pull the lever and straight out exhaust.. I know, I'm dreaming :)

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Shame a PO butchered the AC, it's dash out now to repair that if you ever want to put it back on.

damn, didn't realise it was dash out to fix that :( what a bummer...

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Non Volatile ram, this replaces the MEMcal or memory calibration (chip) that is fitted in the PCM (powertrain Control Module). With a proper RAM chip in the PCM you can hook up a laptop and talk to the chip in real time. This allows for realtime tuning.

WB02 is Wideband oxygen sensor and is fitted in the exhaust to measure AFR's or air fuel ratio's. The factory PCM uses a more common NB02 or narrow band 02 sensor which is only used to maintain the correct stoichiometric fuel ratio.

There is a lot of info on the PCM hacking forum, a fair few user guides and there are a few users who are very happy to give advice and assist with your endeavors.

On our L67 the factory twin 2.25" into singe 2.5" system (with twin cats) was choking the motor at higher rpm using a 3.4" pulley (86mm). As soon as I fitted a factory V8 twin system it revved out a lot better.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Well done picking it up, nice ride m8.
Holy **** Batman look at the parts list of replacements lol.

I fully agree and understand when you say, run it get times, do something see what it does next... im the same thinking there, bit of a game

For your Daughter Willowbank Raceway has Test n Tune days/nights, starting again early next year.

Perfect, we'll be there with bells on..

Going to be so much fun. not that fast most likely, but still a bucket load of fun to be had.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
I looked at the exhaust yesterday, pretty tidy setup, but yep 2.5.

In a perfect world (dreaming) between the headers and the exhaust, I'd have a Y piece. One goes to the exhaust the other to the atmosphere :)
operated from inside the cab.. so when you go to the drags, pull the lever and straight out exhaust.. I know, I'm dreaming :)

well blow me down.
https://www.wish.com/product/5f30e9...maiRXno3ZqE9t4q-UF8ImBoCQRAQAvD_BwE&share=web

exhaust.jpg

I might have to be the test dummy to see how good or bad this thing is :)

one thing. it's cheap.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
damn, didn't realise it was dash out to fix that :( what a bummer...
Yeah, unfortunately the evap will be contaminated and can't really be flushed. Had it remained sealed you may have had some luck, but even then a lot of places don't like the pipes being cut, even if they are taped up.

Yeah I hear ya.. trying to do this on a budget if possible.. I'll get a price when I get the stall converter etc.

I was hoping to get out of it for 1K installed, (the stall converter)

This car isn't going to be doing much apart from racing and small runs to the tip :)

Plus the trip to and from the drag stips etc. So we'll see how the standard auto goes I guess.. especially in the short term.
You might get it for a grand installed but I'd say for a HD stally you will be looking more like $1300 - $1400 installed. That's for a reco stally, one off the shelf like a lot of blokes use are $1400 - $1600 just for the convertor. I fitted a stally but didn't go with furnace brazed fins as I'm not using it in drags. Mine was around $650 - $700 for a 3500 stall, but the really good one was another $300 or so more again. I had mine made at Pro Convertors. You will really need the HD one, given the way you want to drive it.

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Yeah, unfortunately the evap will be contaminated and can't really be flushed. Had it remained sealed you may have had some luck, but even then a lot of places don't like the pipes being cut, even if they are taped up.

You might get it for a grand installed but I'd say for a HD stally you will be looking more like $1300 - $1400 installed. That's for a reco stally, one off the shelf like a lot of blokes use are $1400 - $1600 just for the convertor. I fitted a stally but didn't go with furnace brazed fins as I'm not using it in drags. Mine was around $650 - $700 for a 3500 stall, but the really good one was another $300 or so more again. I had mine made at Pro Convertors. You will really need the HD one, given the way you want to drive it.

Thanks, very helpful.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
Perfect, we'll be there with bells on..

Going to be so much fun. not that fast most likely, but still a bucket load of fun to be had.

The last 2 Test n Tune were cancelled due to not enough numbers but they are advertising 12/12/2020 as an event date (This Sat Night 4:30pm to 9pm).
Might be able to squeeze one in before xMass, remember to get tickets online first...

peteinoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute