Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs commodore v6 Hard Start Runs ok

jkm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Hey legends.

The only way it will start is if I turn it over for 3 seconds then turn off and quickly turn over again for another 2 seconds. If it doesn't start I then do this a third time and it starts. Can run a little rough in the beginning.

Replaced:

Crank angle sensor

Camshaft sensor

Tested coolant temp sensor

Second hand fuel pressure Regulator

New spark plugs

Second hand bcm

Replaced 1 ignition module

Even replaced the word F##k with F##king c##t. Still not helping.

Can smell a fair bit of fuel.

I'm thinking maybe low fuel pressure. Maybe the check valve in the fuel pump is gone. Maybe the injectors are leaking. Maybe ecu??

Negative terminal seems pretty hot.

Doing my head in. Any assistance would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers.

jkm

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS
Hey legends.

The only way it will start is if I turn it over for 3 seconds then turn off and quickly turn over again for another 2 seconds. If it doesn't start I then do this a third time and it starts. Can run a little rough in the beginning.

Replaced:

Crank angle sensor

Camshaft sensor

New spark plugs

Second hand bcm

I'm thinking maybe low fuel pressure. Maybe the check valve in the fuel pump is gone. Maybe the injectors are leaking. Maybe ecu??

Cheers.
I've been reading these forums for years getting alot of help. But I'm sick of replacing parts and not fixing the problem. So I finally needed to reach out. Cheers again.

Nick Scali

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Caprice
Hey legends.

Replaced:

Crank angle sensor

Camshaft sensor

New spark plugs

Second hand bcm

Cheers.

I'm not sure if I have my wires crossed but I'm pretty sure there's a schrader valve on the fuel rail on the Ecotec/L67 (or it might just be the LS1), you can hook up a fuel pressure gauge to this, I had a customers car doing an extended crank on start up and what it was, you'd go to ignition and the fuel pump would prime, then the fuel pressure would drop because the check valve in the fuel pump was fuckeyed and the fuel was leaking back down to the tank instead of staying in the rail.

Check fuel pressure, go to ignition and report back see what it does, if it drops back down instead of holding pressure replace the fuel pump assembly while you're in there, don't bother just doing the check valve.

Also be careful with crankshaft position sensor, only use the OEM/Genuine replacements, I've had the aftermarket ones give me **** so much so I refuse to use them on any customer cars.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
VS ecotec doesn't have the schrader valve unfortunately, those were only fitted from VT onward that have the steel rails. VS has the extruded alloy fuel rails and no provision for a fuel pressure test port.

I do agree though, it does sound like a fuel pressure issue when cranking.

AmericanGuyInAUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ute VS
Sounds like a fuel pressure problem. Check your fuel pressure regulator. Mine is going bad and I'm having a hard time finding one. Look for fuel in the vacuum line and even a fuel smell in the crank case. Do this as well as checking your fuel pump/pump check valve. I've also had a ban ignition switch fool me into running down the fuel pressure road.

Nick Scali

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Caprice
VS ecotec doesn't have the schrader valve unfortunately, those were only fitted from VT onward that have the steel rails. VS has the extruded alloy fuel rails and no provision for a fuel pressure test port.

I do agree though, it does sound like a fuel pressure issue when cranking.

Ah crap - that makes it difficult to test fuel pressure, its so easy on the VT onward.