Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS Calais Fuel Consumption

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
All money on o2 sensors. They are cheap and easy to change - suggest you start here

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
No not always- often they can get a fair way out of range before throwing a code.

jeepyrocks

Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW 535D, VR V6 Ute
Just re-reading your post - one thing you havent clarified is the kms and service background. when did it last have plugs and filters done? a filthy air filter wont help, nor will an engine thats been poorly serviced and done a million miles.

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
Car has done 193xxx kms.. I have had the car for a year. I have changed the oil not so long ago and i have checked some of the plugs not all of them and they appear to be clean

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
There are so many of these threads :)
The first bit of kit anyone should buy is a small laptop(netbook) aldl cable and diag software, all up mine cost around $220
only then can you see whats going on...
If your using a level3 dash trip computer these are notorious for getting it wrong and need calibrating every so often..also the orig fuel consumption figures are based on near perfect driving conditions and equipment...
Basically around town short trips you be lucky to get 340 to 400km per tank with a 20+ yo car,On the open road that go's out around 700 to 800k's per tank...Little things add up around town tyre pressures, how you drive,how much weight you have in the car(a car with 400kg of doof doof is going to get less per tank) try driving with the trans in eco mode,when in traffic try to ride the back of the wave rather than get in front.

slightly off tangent: I watched a car show the other day/week, they brought a 15yo bmw bunged it on a dyno to see how many horse had escaped. Then they went through some basic servicing to see if there were any gains by running it on the dyno each time..
Guess what was the biggest improvement was...a good quality Injector cleaner...then there was small gains from plugs, leads, air cleaner,fluid change ect

Reaction score
Members Ride
NOTHING
So all up what should I do.. Today i have cleaned the MAF and TB. At the moment the cluster is saying my fuel consumption is 18.1l/100km... The car is completely stock. I have done around 86km and the needle is at the first bar. Is this normal

xauterus

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes
At that age and km replacing the injectors may make quite a difference. You can buy cleaned and serviced injectors off eBay. New spark plugs are cheap and check the resistance on the leads

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
check for fault codes first before doing anything, then after that look at o2 sensors, buying a datalogging adapter as previously mentioned will help heaps when trying to diagnose.