Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs bad fuel economy

chasnmdnite

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
So im seeing alot about vs's having a **** fuel economy, but no solution other than to replace things till it eventually changes, does anyone know an actual solution to it?
Im getting about 300km off a tank. 97 ser2 vs ute

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
It's down to each car and how it's used and the life it's had. These cars are now 25+ years old

Stop start traffic will always yield **** economy. Mainly highway gives best results.

Regarding car specific, you'll need to log data from the ecu to see how and why fuel useage is high.

Dirty fuel causing filters and injectors to not work efficiently, dragging brakes, carbon build up in the engine, tired rings letting compression drop, transmission slipping etc.

Lots of things contribute and it may not be 1 silver bullet that fixes it, but fixing 3 smaller items that bring economy back.

chasnmdnite

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore
It's down to each car and how it's used and the life it's had. These cars are now 25+ years old

Stop start traffic will always yield **** economy. Mainly highway gives best results.

Regarding car specific, you'll need to log data from the ecu to see how and why fuel useage is high.

Dirty fuel causing filters and injectors to not work efficiently, dragging brakes, carbon build up in the engine, tired rings letting compression drop, transmission slipping etc.

Lots of things contribute and it may not be 1 silver bullet that fixes it, but fixing 3 smaller items that bring economy back.
What kind on thing should i look for?
Ive got the envyous customs scan program and noticed a faulty o2 sensor which just happen to be seized in the hole, but i doubt just thatll improve it.

I tested the fuel economy on highways and tbh it isnt much different with city driving.

Also i use 91 as 95,98 make really no difference

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
what is the workshop manual is for start reading it? It was never good enough for them to make it into a movie. diagnose what is wrong with it ? What codes does it bring up? iLL guess 02 sensers rooted o2 sensors will make it drink

Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What kind on thing should i look for?
Ive got the envyous customs scan program and noticed a faulty o2 sensor which just happen to be seized in the hole, but i doubt just thatll improve it.

I tested the fuel economy on highways and tbh it isnt much different with city driving.

Also i use 91 as 95,98 make really no difference

The O2 sensors are the primary sensor to ensure the engine is running at the optimum Air to Fuel ratio.

But hey, if you doubt it, don't fix it.

The VS V6 also has an inherent wiring problem that causes the O2 sensor on one bank to give improper readings.

Internet diagnosis will only get you so far.

Login

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Wagon
Spend your hard earned.
New plugs, new air filter, regular oil and filter change using correct oil.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
So im seeing alot about vs's having a **** fuel economy, but no solution other than to replace things till it eventually changes, does anyone know an actual solution to it?
Im getting about 300km off a tank. 97 ser2 vs ute
What's the normal driving habit? For instance drive to work & return home in 60 kph stop start traffic. Never getting any highway km on?

Me most of my driving these days 3km to shops & 3km home once every 4 days.
My average at the moment 21 km per 100.

If l'm going to Melbourne or on a decent highway journey, l'll rest the fuel trims (push left & right mode switches the same time).
The fuel trims will sort themselves fairly quickly, without having to drive 300 km.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Fuel trims in closed loop don't work if the O2 sensor is bad or dead.