Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR manual conversion problem - cuts out

TimWalton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Lexcen (VP Commodore) wagon
I finished converting my VR to manual today with everything going as expected but when I took it for a test drive it cut out at 2500 rpm in second gear. It came back a second later but when it hit 2500 it did it again. And again and again. The result was me bunny hopping up my street until I backed off to 2000 rpm and trundled my way home.

I used all the parts from my previous car, a VP which I had also converted with no problems, including the computer as they can be used for this application according to many people on this forum.

The only part I sourced from elsewhere was a proper full VR manual wiring loom from which I only used the engine harness section (from computer to DFI, injectors and sensors).

Has anyone else had this problem before and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Cheers
Tim

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you might be hitting the speed cut with a vp tune in the ecu with vr manual wiring.vn-vp get there speedo feed via the dash after the dash has reduced the number of pulses.vr wiring sends the signal straight to the ecu and will speed cut real early.unplug the speed sensor and go for a drive

TimWalton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for that mate, I'll give it a shot when I get home and get back to you.

TimWalton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Another thing I noticed is a vibration when it's in neutral as well as when driving and as the revs come up it gets worse. Would a bent input shaft or clutch plate cause this? I did leave it hanging for half a second to reposition the jack but it was all the way in against the bell housing at the time

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Leaving it hanging won't cause that. Sounds like a worn out spigot bush.

TimWalton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I did use the spigot bush from the old motor... It wasn't that old so I thought it would go alright.

Delcowizzid, I unplugged the speed sensor and it drove fine. What can I do, if anything to fix the problem?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
You just need a tune with speedo pulses changed and it will no longer hit the limiter

Sent from my C8660 using Tapatalk 2

TimWalton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Okay I'll do that. Thanks for your help

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 6 Litre, VZ SV6
Sorry about the thread dig, but mine is pretty much the same, vr swapped, with vr ecu, but the loom might be vn/vp. Cuts out too. Where's the best place to get a tune done?