Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr Buick fuel usage

leavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
Hey guys :)

Filled my car up the other day with premium 98, Drove back and forth to work 4 times (twice a day) About 10k's to work 10k's back, and a little driving on the weekend and the cars already chewed a quarter of a tank doesn't seem right to me :\

Down to problems i think might be causing it, Every time i get in the car it has strong fuel fumes in it, maybe a leaking line?
also the car only has a hotdog after the cat converter which is probably chewing fuel.

i'm already buying a redback 2.5" exhaust system off ebay, and some pacemaker extractors

also I've already banged the dash to check if it's just a sticky needle

anything else i can do to check or change to help me diagnose the problem if it's using more fuel than normal.

Cheers guys! :D

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
When's the last time you did a big service on it? Fuel smell could be the charcoal canister not hooked up properly or there's hoses near the fuel tank which can perish. Aftermarket exhausts won't give you a big change in fuel economy if anything it will be worse because you will be more inclined to hear it make noise. I would suggest getting a tune off some one like Mace. Will mean your not wasting money running 98 octane fuel and the car will run better. To be honest though that doesn't seem like that bad economy.

leavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
When's the last time you did a big service on it? Fuel smell could be the charcoal canister not hooked up properly or there's hoses near the fuel tank which can perish. Aftermarket exhausts won't give you a big change in fuel economy if anything it will be worse because you will be more inclined to hear it make noise. I would suggest getting a tune off some one like Mace. Will mean your not wasting money running 98 octane fuel and the car will run better. To be honest though that doesn't seem like that bad economy.

no idea about the service history of the car mate, bought it like a week ago.

i think the after market exhaust would give me better fuel economy then the cat > hotdog system i've got on at the moment, had a muffler but that fell of the other day. i'm new to this forum and i'm still getting to navigating around it may i get a link to his profile so i could send him an inbox?

Cheers for your reply man appreciate it!

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if the fuel sender is starting to play up it will show less than actual also...

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
one thing they are bad for is cold fuel economy fit a new thermostat to get it to temp as fast as possible.bet it hardly gets hot on the gauge by the time you get to work and the same when you leave after work

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Ok cheers man, Any idea how to test if it's working correctly?
put a multimeter on it and check the ohms should be between say 300 empty and 35 for full and if it fluctuates outside that or goes open circuit then u have an issue...

leavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
one thing they are bad for is cold fuel economy fit a new thermostat to get it to temp as fast as possible.bet it hardly gets hot on the gauge by the time you get to work and the same when you leave after work

i think you may have hit the nail on the head there mate, they fitted a new thermostat and the car never goes above the quarter mark
and i dont think it even raises on the way to work haha

i think it stays so low because the thermo fan is going all the time they've wired it up like that i guess. When i turn the key to accessories the fan starts up
so the car is running cold all the time

leavz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore
put a multimeter on it and check the ohms should be between say 300 empty and 35 for full and if it fluctuates outside that or goes open circuit then u have an issue...

Ok thanks i'll test it out tomorrow :)

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
if its a good car and you plan to keep it start with some spring cleaning.
O2 sensor
plugs
leads
fuel filter
air filter
oil filter and oil
replace all the fuel tank breather hoses may as well look at replacing all the vacuam hoses on the engine while youre there
sort out why the fans running all the time the ecu will run the fan constant when in the on position if its in limp mode or if the coolant temp sensor dies or is unplugged.they may have just bypassed the fan to ignition for some reason.it will take ages to heat up with the fan going all day
for winter short trips to work ide be running a bit of forsale sign over half the radiator if works real close :D