Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP RPM Tacometer Stopped Working

Nate420

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
How to fix a stuck RPM taco on VP Series 2.

My RPM Taco recently stopped working. It was on its way out and usually i would give the cluster a bit of a tap on top when it stopped working and it would come back to life.
unfortunately that's not working anymore.

The Fuel and temp gauge are now doing the same thing. they get stuck and a simple tap on top of cluster brings them back to life.

Clusters are becoming hard to find second hand. So if i can fix this one that would be great!

Attachments

• IMG_0318.JPG
    IMG_0318.JPG
    247.5 KB · Views: 118

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
You can get them fixed. There’s a place here in Perth that does it. In Wangara.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
1611748898635.jpeg

Mmmm....Taco metres..

much tastier than the normal tachometres..

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I carefully lube the instruments with Nulon Pro Ezi Glide when I have the dash apart. Don't overdo it- just lube the spindles.
These instruments are getting on to 30 years old now.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
These instruments are getting on to 30 years old now.
I have seen many VN, VP, VR, VS clusters where the circuit copper on the back has broken. It is a pain in the ass to track down and repair with my old eyes now.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Their getting to be a pain. I had the famous handbrake warning intermittent beeper last year- it turned out to be a crack in the circuit board where it folds over with about 4 copper tracks to run around a pin. The folded over bit must have got squashed when the board was reinstalled and squashed the track- breaking it. I tracked that one down with a multimeter on both ends of the track.
My old eyes also missed some hairline cracks that were in the internal joints in the RH cruise control switch. I soldered all the visible joints but my local auto electrician pulled the switch apart , photographed all the likely joints with his phone , then blew the joint photo's up and found the cracks. I was amazed and gladly paid him- I'd been looking for that CC fault for nearly a year.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Dry solder issue...should be a thread on sticking fuel/temp gauges.

May as well fix your own dash as 2nd hand item will eventually have same issue if not already.

Once you done the first one not that bad doing it again way down the line when it re-occurs.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
"May as well fix your own dash as 2nd hand item will eventually have same issue if not already "- I totally agree. And if you have a level 3 cluster learn how to clean and properly clamp the LCD terminal strips to keep the display working.

Nate420

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
If your not up to fixing it yourself, I have had speedos fixed and calibrated before by these guys at Prospect SA --> https://www.gaugeworks.com.au/

Thanks mate will get a quote and go from there.

View attachment 218731
Mmmm....Taco metres..

much tastier than the normal tachometres..

Haha

Dry solder issue...should be a thread on sticking fuel/temp gauges.

May as well fix your own dash as 2nd hand item will eventually have same issue if not already.

Once you done the first one not that bad doing it again way down the line when it re-occurs.

If the price to get fixed is too much ill have to fix myself, thanks for the info

"May as well fix your own dash as 2nd hand item will eventually have same issue if not already "- I totally agree. And if you have a level 3 cluster learn how to clean and properly clamp the LCD terminal strips to keep the display working.

Thanks will look into it for sure mate. Its a L2 cluster.