Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VP 304 manual conversion - pedal box removal

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Hi all,

Started to remove the auto pedal box (brake pedal). I know there is an old thread on here but it doesn’t discuss how to remove the two bolts on the firewall and the one under the column.

Any pointers or tricks?

Thanks!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If the one bolt is similar to the early girls,(5/8 or there abouts) where you have a bolt on top of the column down at the pedal box, I pushed down the steering column and ran extension bars up to the top of the column and undid it that way...A battery powered rattlegun, or similar makes it quicker and easier

The nuts at the firewall (13MM from memory).....Memory serves me right, you could get a socket on one and the other you used the open end of the spanner and turned the nut, flipped the spanner, more of a turn until you could get a socket on it....

It has been a few years since I did a pedal box swap with my VC, hence the fuzzy memory....So best of luck

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
If the one bolt is similar to the early girls,(5/8 or there abouts) where you have a bolt on top of the column down at the pedal box, I pushed down the steering column and ran extension bars up to the top of the column and undid it that way...A battery powered rattlegun, or similar makes it quicker and easier

The nuts at the firewall (13MM from memory).....Memory serves me right, you could get a socket on one and the other you used the open end of the spanner and turned the nut, flipped the spanner, more of a turn until you could get a socket on it....

It has been a few years since I did a pedal box swap with my VC, hence the fuzzy memory....So best of luck
Thanks. I have an aircon duct in the way of the nut under the steering column and I’m scratching my head in how to get that one out. Might have a fresh look tonight.

With the firewall bolts I’m thinking I’ll need to maybe unbolt the mc bracket (like mentioned in the old thread) and pull the booster back a little to create more room. Was hoping to get a socket on it but looks like I’ll need to undo it bit by bit with a spanner at weird angles. Almost got an extension, socket and uni joint in there but was blocked by something (can’t remember now, was too busy swearing haha).

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I might have had a socket on both 13MM nuts, but being so long ago doing the swap, I can't remember.....I do remember swearing alot though

EDIT, I'm sure one of those 13MM nuts was real close to the steering column, which was why it is a pain in the rectum to undo.....Might have used the ring nd of a spanner to start undoing it.....Could only move it a small amount at a time before taking it off the nut and putting it back on

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
First pull seat out so can lay uncomfortably underneath it....dont have to you'll wish you had lol.

I use short swivel type extension for nuts/bolts that need to get to at awkward angles...also might need spanner if cant get at them with fingers.

It's not fun hence rather pull seat out now even if it adds time for job....

Vp ute has had pedal box swapped from manual to auto also had leaking booster swapped out for an even worse one then finally it got a vt m/cyl & booster conversion..no farking way I'm getting under it again for a very long time.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
I might have had a socket on both 13MM nuts, but being so long ago doing the swap, I can't remember.....I do remember swearing alot though

EDIT, I'm sure one of those 13MM nuts was real close to the steering column, which was why it is a pain in the rectum to undo.....Might have used the ring nd of a spanner to start undoing it.....Could only move it a small amount at a time before taking it off the nut and putting it back on
Yes a lot of them seem to be 13 mm. The ones on the firewall, I'll only be able to get to them by using the open ended spanner almost 90 deg to the bolts. Will be hard to apply enough force to get them to turn. I'll prob pull the booster back a little, might give me enough room for a socket and uni joint.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
First pull seat out so can lay uncomfortably underneath it....dont have to you'll wish you had lol.

I use short swivel type extension for nuts/bolts that need to get to at awkward angles...also might need spanner if cant get at them with fingers.

It's not fun hence rather pull seat out now even if it adds time for job....

Vp ute has had pedal box swapped from manual to auto also had leaking booster swapped out for an even worse one then finally it got a vt m/cyl & booster conversion..no farking way I'm getting under it again for a very long time.
Haha yeh, I'm looking at the VT booster and mc combo as well. I found the bolts holding that on weren't too bad, I shoved a socket on a 500mm extension in there and got them off pretty easy.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes a lot of them seem to be 13 mm. The ones on the firewall, I'll only be able to get to them by using the open ended spanner almost 90 deg to the bolts. Will be hard to apply enough force to get them to turn. I'll prob pull the booster back a little, might give me enough room for a socket and uni joint.
Pretty sure a couple of those bolts hold the booster in situ, which makes it more a PITA.....However don't quote as it has been a few years since I have done the pedal swap and the memory ain't as good as it once was

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pretty sure a couple of those bolts hold the booster in situ, which makes it more a PITA.....However don't quote as it has been a few years since I have done the pedal swap and the memory ain't as good as it once was

I ended up getting it out this afternoon. What a prick of a job.

Removed the m/c bracket, and pulled the booster back. That allowed me just enough room to get a 3/4" ratchet, 13mm bolt and uni joint in there.

The other bolt, I pushed the fuel lines out of the way and used a 500 mm 1/2 inch extension and 13 mm socket.

Back in the car I had to undo both bolts holding the steering column up. That allowed me to push down the aircon duct just enough to get a 13 mm socket on an extension, onto the bolt holding the pedal box to the steering column. Once I undid that, the whole column dropped a bit then I could pull out the aircon duct. After that I was home free.

Only complication was the alarm installer routed the cables through one of the pedal box holes, so had to cut them. Gotta remember to rejoin them later.

All in all, an unpleasant job. I'm sort of worried about potential electrical issues, a lot of wires went under tension when the column dropped!

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Pedal feel with vt m/cyl combo is awsome...even with stock 290mm brake setup.

Major downside is how disgusting stock brake lines look with the adaptors...would look decent if got them shortened with proper flare & vt nuts to delete the adaptors.