Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vn v6 intake manifold/head difference between series one and series 2/vp/vr

chevy_big_block_bro

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VYII SV8 One tonner
greenfoam said:
The only real difference between them is that the series 2 has runners that are about 1 inch longer. It's worth a few KW and NM
Why is the S1 VN suposed to be the torquiest engine if the runners arnt as long

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It's got a bit more radical tune and a more serious camshaft (so the legend says), also the tube exhausts on the VN maybe a little better than the VP's cast ones. I'd say the VR executive with a retune is the fastest out of all three early models anyway

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
chevy_big_block_bro said:
Why is the S1 VN suposed to be the torquiest engine if the runners arnt as long

The series 2 has more torque, although only 1NM more.

The series 1 engine has more torque down low though with 92% of max torque available from just 1200rpm through to 4000rpm. After 4000rpm though the torque drops off pretty quick, where as the VN S2 doesnt develop as much torque down low, but retains it later in the rev range.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
My understanding is that the S1 had a higher lift less duration than S2 which had less lift but longer duration which sound correct when the S1 had more torque early vs torque later in the rpm range. the high lift/less duration setup does have the down side of faster wear/tear in the valve train region unfortunatly. by fitting high ratio rockers to the S2 plus lifting the compression ratio slightly you should be able to get the same bottom end as the S1 with the top end benefits of the S2 engine

simc

Supercharged V6 Gemini
Reaction score
Anyone know if the VP and VR heads the same? Was it just the higher pistons that knocked up the compression?

fnlow1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais '93
Is there a thread sumwhere that talks about the possibility of fitting ecotec heads to an earlier model V6?

cheers

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe

cozer

Cozer
Reaction score
Members Ride
vn v6
hakhawk said:
ok, for those that want to know the differences between series one and series 2 vn v6 (series 2 is also vp, vr) heads and intrake manifold, heres some pics. i dont feel liek listing every different thing, but the pics show most of them quite easily.

just post if you have any queries, yme or someone else will give you an answer

does anyone know if s2 fuel rail will fit on s1 or of a way to change the s1 pressure reg???

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
fuel rails arent compatible, mounting positions are different. changing fuel reg, im not sure, but id assume you'd need a fitting made to connect to rail, then run a aftermarket inline fuel reg