Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VIC: RECOVERED: MY17 SSV Redline Sportwagon AMG156 - Monash University, Clayton, VIC

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Wow, you've got me scared to take mine there now. Time to buy a steering lock maybe, I though modern systems had made them redundant.

I think I used to see (or more accurately hear) your car sometimes. Nice note. What a shitter.
Many years ago when I used to invest (read waste) money on a MK 2 Jag I cut the steering wheel down from about 18" to about 15". It was quite easy to do and made going around corners a lot easier, I cut it down using a hacksaw and welded it back together. It made steering a lot easier. My thoughts at the time and they haven't changed is how easy it would be to steal a car with a steering lock fitted just by cutting through the steering wheel.

OldBomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Typical university parking. Quick to issue a fine for going 5 minutes over, but can't stop someone stealing a car or detect suspicious behaviour.
Sadly, these older security systems are easy to hack. New cars can be opened remotely, but only by the manufacturer

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Many years ago when I used to invest (read waste) money on a MK 2 Jag I cut the steering wheel down from about 18" to about 15". It was quite easy to do and made going around corners a lot easier, I cut it down using a hacksaw and welded it back together. It made steering a lot easier. My thoughts at the time and they haven't changed is how easy it would be to steal a car with a steering lock fitted just by cutting through the steering wheel.
Cordless angle grinder?

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Cordless angle grinder?

Many years ago I asked a work-experience about how to defeat a steering lock. I figured the young and hip will be up with the latest techniques (just for bragging rights).

He said get the jack out of the car, place the jack between the seat and the steering wheel, wind the jack up, distort the steering wheel (from round to oval) enough to get the steering lock out. I have no idea if that would work or not?

But I do recall reading many reviews on steering locks. Apparently some were so brittle that all it took was a decent hit with a hammer and they’d break.

But, I guess that every extra security item will be another deterrent?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
My thoughts at the time and they haven't changed is how easy it would be to steal a car with a steering lock fitted just by cutting through the steering wheel.
Cordless angle grinder?
Just cut the Club Lock with your Ryobi.

I have one of the newer Club Lock types to put on my steering wheel, and consider it as only a minor inconvenience to a potential amateur thief.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
club lock master key :p
key.png

jokes aside, you can buy lock picking tools that are amazingly fast and easy to use like this

the lockpickinglawyer has many videos on how to defeat all sorts of locks

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Just cut the Club Lock with your Ryobi.

I have one of the newer Club Lock types to put on my steering wheel, and consider it as only a minor inconvenience to a potential amateur thief.

More chance someone hearing/seeing something while that's occurring though.

As Chrisp said, every little helps. But if they want it, they'll get it.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Mine has a cylindrical type key with dimples drilled into it. Hopefully more harder to pick than that video showed..

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
My thoughts at the time and they haven't changed is how easy it would be to steal a car with a steering lock fitted just by cutting through the steering wheel.

They did that to my Torana.

How do I know, because when the car was recovered the original steering wheel was in the boot with a cut through the rim laying next to the club lock.

After they stole it, they removed the wheel and replaced it with a numbered Momo wheel from a HDT Commodore, which I still have to this day.

They also got around my battery isolator switch of which I had two, one under the seat and one in the boot where you had to have the pins in place to start it.

They simply ran a cable from the battery in the boot, through the back seat, out the back window, over the roof, into the bonnet near the windscreen and to the starter motor.

That cable was still in place when the cops chased them.

Pros come prepared.

Last edited: