Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf wiring diagram for steering rack

Derek450SLC

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mercedes 450SLC 304V8
Thanks, I ll have a read through the manual, if it has the right wiring diagram I might just buy one and apply voltage to see if it does work in fail safe mode. Hopefully it has something akin to providing steering while car engine is not running.

If the OP sees this and had some success with his rack or went another way would be great to know.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Thanks, I ll have a read through the manual, if it has the right wiring diagram I might just buy one and apply voltage to see if it does work in fail safe mode. Hopefully it has something akin to providing steering while car engine is not running.

If the OP sees this and had some success with his rack or went another way would be great to know.

OP was last active 11 September 2021, so don't think you'll ever find out from them

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
@Derek450SLC I’ll be intrigued to hear how you go with this! From what (admittedly little) I’ve seen, getting the right electric assistance to suit a car is quite the challenge, isn’t it? Although is the system on a 450SLC quite over-assisted feeling in the first place so you’re not going to lose any touchy-feelies regardless?

Clawd_au

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore v6
How did you go with the power steering from the electric power steering?

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
@Derek450SLC I’ll be intrigued to hear how you go with this! From what (admittedly little) I’ve seen, getting the right electric assistance to suit a car is quite the challenge, isn’t it? Although is the system on a 450SLC quite over-assisted feeling in the first place so you’re not going to lose any touchy-feelies regardless?

Doesnt look achievable, Holden in their infinite wisbom uses an external angle sensor mounted on the upper section of the column. It is connected through the BCM to determine steering wheel angle. If its not connected, it wont default to failsafe mode, as there is NO angle data present (unless you use the BCM). This is more pain than its worth.

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Doesnt look achievable, Holden in their infinite wisbom uses an external angle sensor mounted on the upper section of the column. It is connected through the BCM to determine steering wheel angle. If its not connected, it wont default to failsafe mode, as there is NO angle data present (unless you use the BCM). This is more pain than its worth.
Sometimes you have to look harder and have experience. I dismantled a Toyota Crown when building my 1936 Chev hot rod. The Crown had hydraulic power steering, but also had a crude form of ESC. While dismantling the steering column I came across 3 wires going to the ABS controller. According to the only source of info (the web...) the only diagrams were hand drawn and had VSS writen againt those wires. The write-up said it was connected to the dash and was a speed sensor. Nup. I pulled the steering column apart and found a pot (variable resistor) connected to the steering column that varied resistance according to the steering angle. (Irrelevant here) but that "sensor" is just a flat disc with a hole in the middle and 3 wires. Maybe a similar sensor can be wired into a circuit that supplies a varying voltage (negative and positive) to feed to the electric rack? Tyhe rack itself would need to know when the steering wheel is being turned at least, so it must have inputs for power and ground, plus more to "tell" it which way to turn the wheels. It would also have to be absolutele zero play in the system because you still need "feel" and feedback. (ie, you don't want it so active that any movement off centre results in a full lock situation.
Quite a few hot rods use electric steering. Usually you buy a whole kit and feed it power and gound and the steering shaft. All the sensing, feedback etc is done in the self contained kit.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden
Sometimes you have to look harder and have experience. I dismantled a Toyota Crown when building my 1936 Chev hot rod. The Crown had hydraulic power steering, but also had a crude form of ESC. While dismantling the steering column I came across 3 wires going to the ABS controller. According to the only source of info (the web...) the only diagrams were hand drawn and had VSS writen againt those wires. The write-up said it was connected to the dash and was a speed sensor. Nup. I pulled the steering column apart and found a pot (variable resistor) connected to the steering column that varied resistance according to the steering angle. (Irrelevant here) but that "sensor" is just a flat disc with a hole in the middle and 3 wires. Maybe a similar sensor can be wired into a circuit that supplies a varying voltage (negative and positive) to feed to the electric rack? Tyhe rack itself would need to know when the steering wheel is being turned at least, so it must have inputs for power and ground, plus more to "tell" it which way to turn the wheels. It would also have to be absolutele zero play in the system because you still need "feel" and feedback. (ie, you don't want it so active that any movement off centre results in a full lock situation.
Quite a few hot rods use electric steering. Usually you buy a whole kit and feed it power and gound and the steering shaft. All the sensing, feedback etc is done in the self cont
Could possibly be done if you get the sensor but you need the brake control module(K17) , instrument cluster (P16) and BCM as well. This is per the VF schematics and as mentioned, Holden have routed these mission critical steering signals through multiple plugs and sockets to the steering computor which talks to the rack using CAN bus. So its not such a simple idea to reverse engineer the system. Maybe getting these components from a wrecked car (with the loom) and you could get it working.

There are actually 2 sensors on the column, the angle sensor (B99 which goes to K17) and a the integrated torque sensor (B137).

Toyota Prius has a fully integrated rack which will revert to 70% operation if the CAN bus is unplugged. Holden will revert to 0% operation if the CAN bus is unplugged.
Holden Astra pre 2006 has an electric pump type system and looks the easiest to use in a replica. Ask me how I know, Im in the process of scrapping my VF rack and going back to the VE hydralic one.