Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF SS with a W547

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Yes, if we use 15% driveline loss, the 557kw kit should make around 474rwkw.
WP dont do better fuel pump do they ? or they just use bigger injectors and let the fuel pressure drop so they dont have to do pump

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Marketing is strong at WP
"Lookit Tom in a Jaaaag! Lookit!!

As I typed that ~37 years later, it's only just occurred how apt the Jaaaag was for Tom. :)

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
What do they actually claim?
The name is just a name, it’s implied that they have 547 flywheel horsepower but I thought they were pretty careful not to make any claims ‘cos they don’t put out a power figure anywhere near the number in the name?
Not sure what they quote, though the reason i asked was a mate had a similar "pack" from another well known brand on his car, and the rwkw figure was significantly lower than what I thought it would be when compared to what they claimed as the flywheel figure.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Not sure what they quote, though the reason i asked was a mate had a similar "pack" from another well known brand on his car, and the rwkw figure was significantly lower than what I thought it would be when compared to what they claimed as the flywheel figure.
Someone responded to my question a few poasts later, it seems Walkinshaw have actually started claiming power figures ... which is interesting 'cos nobody gets numbers at the wheels that would indicate the claimed figures are correct. I guess they're banking on nobody wanting to go to the effort of getting an engine-dyno to prove the level of exaggeration; I certainly wouldn't bother, I just assumed it was public knowledge like not getting involved in a land-war in Asia and never going in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Simmo68

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R S3 , VF Commodore Wagon SS S1
I'm struggling to see how removing the trans tunnel brace to fit resonators maintains Holden's engineering integrity of the floor pan. I think DPE likely mis-configured the exhaust with too small rear mufflers, found it's too loud or too droney and applied a band-aid fix to save money instead of scrapping the exhaust and starting again with a better configuration.

More to the point is why Walkinshaw signed off on it. If an exhaust job was presented to me with a tunnel brace delete, I'd tell them to jam it and do the job properly!
I sourced a tunnel brace from a reputable exhaust company to clear the WP system and fitted same, is it adequate, I don't know but it looks better than nothing.
I didn't like the fact of not having it, albeit that it may be for added strength in that area I didn't want to take the chance come insurance time if it occurred.

Simmo68

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R S3 , VF Commodore Wagon SS S1
Speaking of Simmons wheels, I really like the style of their FRC's and bought a set for my old R8 late 2015. They were pretty good and spun up fairly true on the balancer and then I bought another set late 2020. I sent 3 back and took 2 more goes at getting a reasonably straight set. They had that much runout by 2020 they'd deteriorated into junk. Koya aren't much better at supplying straight wheels either in my experience with them.
Simmons amongst the rest all went to China eventually, quite poor quality now and I wouldn't even bother buying a set in this present day, the earlier wheels as you quoted were almost perfect and worth the money!
Hit a pothole with the Chinese stuff and throw it away basically.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
that floor brace is only like a foot or so away from the rear chassis cross brace junction anyway i cant see it really doing anything critical, if its stopping flex then the chassis is not doing its job, its prob only there to stop the exhaust falling out if the rubbers broke

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Are you referring to that bolt plate that is placed across the tunnel? That bolt on floor brace is actually quite critical for the ‘side impact’ safety rating of the vehicle. It’s actually made out of some high grade/tensile steel so it can withstand the forces of impact. Personally, I wouldn’t leave it off.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Are you referring to that bolt plate that is placed across the tunnel? That bolt on floor brace is actually quite critical for the ‘side impact’ safety rating of the vehicle. It’s actually made out of some high grade/tensile steel so it can withstand the forces of impact. Personally, I wouldn’t leave it off.
It's attached with 4 self-tapping screws, which would strip threads during a side impact.
High tensile bolts into anchor nuts would be a lot more believable.