Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Main fuse blew

Paul012

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 Evoke
Has anyone had a main fuse blow, my evoke Ex-Police car driving up to Auckland stopped at a bottle store, and came out, and no power to the starter, got it going finally by jump-starting at the power poles under the bonnet, would not jump-start from the battery, thought maybe the police overloaded the fuse some time and after me owning for 3 months it decided to blow, bought a second-hand block from the wreakers and so far it has been fine, this is a 300amp fuse, has this happened to anyone else? cheers

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
modern ex-police means pretty much nothing, there is no difference apart from sometimes they fit a secondary battery for patrol vehicles and some functions disabled or modified like the speedo offset removed, blackout mode etc so dont worry about that part

its pretty wild to blow a 300a fuse so i would be looking at things like was a secondary battery installed and if it was removed was it done properly.
if that does not apply i would be looking at one of the main cables potentially rubbing on the body and shorting.

most wires in the vehicle would be destroyed well before a 300a fuse blows, there are only a few that are thick enough to pop the fuse before the wire.

have you installed anything like amps etc, check those wires if you have.

that main fuse should not go and it is concerning because electrical faults like that have the potential to set the vehicle on fire and destroy it.

one of the main reasons for vehicle fires is electrical.

Paul012

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 Evoke
Did have another battery in the boot before I brought it, was a patrol car, maybe they arched it when removing it causing the fuse to be partially blown ?? will trace that main cable, cheers

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Has anyone had a main fuse blow
I've blown a main fuse accidently shorting out the fuse box power supply wire under the dash, but I've never seen one blow in general use.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
modern ex-police means pretty much nothing,
In the V8 VN days, they wanted ex-cop car ECU chips with the idea they had a trick tune with more horsepower. The chips were all the same, but an ex-cop car chip sold for twice the price!

What I did see in the flesh in '87 was a light metallic green VL unmarked cop car with the VL Group A running gear, engine, exhaust and 5 speed manual. There was rumor of VS cop cars with the GTS 5.7 litre engine, but I don't know if that was ever a fact.

Even though unmarked VF cop cars are long gone, I still alert sometimes to silver and grey VF's with the unmarked cop car look!

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Did have another battery in the boot before I brought it, was a patrol car, maybe they arched it when removing it causing the fuse to be partially blown ?? will trace that main cable, cheers

they do not really "partially blow" but something could have weakened it over time.
it could have been dodgy or damaged when they screwed around with the second battery.

just do your best to trace the main cable from the back to front looking for any sharp edge it might rub on.
replace the battery terminal, gm part number is 92292187 use a genuine one.

if it blows again dont hook the power back up until you find the cause because the second time will rule out everything above and tell you that something is wrong.