Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS has gone in to surveillance mode, how to get back to normal???

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Ive just had fitted a full exhaust system and the battery was disconnected whilst doing so.
Got the car back and it is in surveillance mode, all dash lights are off except speedo, no chime for indicators, no stereo, speedo lit very very dull, no indicators flash or beep when car is locked, no interior light when doors are opened etc

I have searched the forum and have seen a few threads saying to push the button near the sunnies holder, but this isnt doing anything on my car? is there a trick to using this button like holding it for a set amount of time?

I have also tried pushing the 2 dash dimmer switches together, this makes the speedo go back to normal illumination but only the speedo, everything else is still out and this wont work with the lights on auto, only on manual on.

Any ideas?????

but on the plus side the new system sounds awesome!

Any help or ideas would be very appreciated

Thanks

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
Hey mate.

Sounds like you've got an ex cop car?

There should be a button near the glasses holder.

Cheers

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hey mate.

Sounds like you've got an ex cop car?

There should be a button near the glasses holder.

Cheers

Yeah mate it was a cop car for the first 50,000 km of its life, ive just clocked up another 40,000 so its on 90k now, 2008 model if that makes any difference.
I have tried pushing this button but nothing happens, have tried with engine running engine off lights on lights off etc im all out of ideas.

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
The dash dimmer buttons you already pressed: pressing both together blacks the lighting out, pressing either one on its own will activate lighting again. Same for all VEs not just ex chasers.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
The dash dimmer buttons you already pressed: pressing both together blacks the lighting out, pressing either one on its own will activate lighting again. Same for all VEs not just ex chasers.

Have tried this, the dash does not change its illumination intensity be pressing either the + or the - it just stays as dull as it will go.
The stereo is also off, nothing at all displayed on the display where the clock is.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
UPDATE: I have just unplugged the wiring to the interior light/sunglasses holder and all is back to normal, but plug it back in and it goes back to everything off...
The long switch near the sunglasses holder that everyone mentioned does nothing at all, so im guessing this is my problem a faulty switch?

What to do now? i dont want to leave my interior light unplugged, have pulled the whole interior light assembly out but there is no easy access to this switch as it is under the plastic mold itself.

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
i have a friend with a diagnostics machine, is this feature able to be disabled permanently on the diagnostics menu with the scan tool does anyone know?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Have you tried just disconnecting the switch?

bandit10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
you cant access the switch by just pulling the interior light out, i have just taken apart the whole interior light apart and pulled out the PCB which has the following on it schefenacker VE OHC Police Main P100178-09

I have found the problem with the switch, it is marked as 'surveillance' on the PCB and the actual part that pushes down to make the circuit has been removed... would this of been done when it was de-commissioned from the police force???

There are 4 other switches on this PCB, dome-doors-map1-map2, I could maybe try taking the part that is missing on the surveillance switch from one of these.. plug it back in and see if that will work to turn this god awful surveillance mode crap off for good!

But is this going to happen each time the battery is disconnected or goes flat?

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
Press the big long button near the sunglasses holder/map lights