Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VE SS Fuel Pump Change Without Removing Tank

Embezl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Commodore
I have had to do a few fuel pump changes in my SS Commodore and I have been asked a couple of times about how I did it without removing the tank. My first pump died about 3 or 4 years ago. My brother changed it out for me and said he just cut a hole in the floor as it is a pain to drop the tank, which was lucky as that was a faulty pump and had to be changed the next day. The pump supplier replaced the pump and paid him for his time.
The first picture is the finished job. He just cut out the piece with tin snips and left it joined near the rubber grommet and folded back the flap to access the pump. You can see it still joined in the second picture. When he was done he folded it back and glued it down and added some re-enforcing bars.
When you remove the pump you have good access to clean the inside of the tank but only on the drivers side as the tank is shaped like a saddle.

Attachments

• Pump 1a.jpg
    Pump 1a.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 841
  • Pump 2a.jpg
    Pump 2a.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 821

Embezl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Commodore
So last August my fuel pump had a leaking non return valve in the pump. The pump is not serviceable and had to be changed. I new I had an access hole my brother cut in so thought I would do it myself. I just had to remove the re-enforcing bars and cut the glue and bend the flap back to access the pump. I have added some pictures of the hole position as my brother cut it out perfect.
After I finished I just bent it back and closed the hole same as my brother did.

Attachments

• Pump 4a.jpg
    Pump 4a.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 575
  • Pump 5a.jpg
    Pump 5a.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 651
  • Pump 3a.jpg
    Pump 3a.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 624

Embezl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Commodore
The pump I changed in August started making loud screaming noises so I had to change it out again. I got a replacement pump under warranty and changed it out. Rather than keep bending the flap back I cut the flap off. I took the flap into work and my mate used some scrap steel and cut out a cover piece with a 10mm bigger overlay around the outside edge of the piece I removed. There is a hump on the original floor piece to allow space for the pump connectors. My friend Greg just transferred the hump onto the new cover. Just glued and pop riveted the hump in place.
I did have to bend the new cover plate to match the contour of the floor. I used my bench vice and some pliers to do this. It took a few times to get it to match to an acceptable standard.

Attachments

• Pump 6a.jpg
    Pump 6a.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 389
  • Pump 7a.jpg
    Pump 7a.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 384
  • Pump 12a.jpg
    Pump 12a.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:

Embezl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Commodore
When I put the new cover back in place I wanted it a bit easier to remove and replace. So rather than glue it down I have just pop riveted it in place as they are easy to drill out. I then used a good quality cloth tape to seal up any gaps so it will be air tight.
My original plan was to get a cut out section off a commodore shell from a wrecker but they wanted $100.
My other idea was to just use the piece I cut out of the car and pop rivet and glue some tin overlay tabs around the outside of it so it could just drop back in place. Then I would have taped it back down and re-used the re-enforcement bars for strength.
The piece I used is stainless steel and fairly thick so it is pretty strong. It did make it a bit hard to bend it to shape though.

Attachments

• Pump 9a.jpg
    Pump 9a.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 288
  • Pump 10a.jpg
    Pump 10a.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 404
  • Pump 11a.jpg
    Pump 11a.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 272

Embezl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Commodore
There is another pump on the passenger side of the tank. I believe it transfers fuel from the passenger side of the tank saddle to the other. You can't see it in the photo but there is another fuel connector in the tank similar to the one on top you can see that connects to the bottom of the pump and goes to this other pump. Does anyone know how this set up works? If it is another pump has anyone had to change it?

Attachments

• Pump 3a.jpg
    Pump 3a.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 235

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Have had a quick search and cant find any quick answer ...Am I right in thinking the vt to vz series fuel pump swaps just require the tank to be dropped (that is you dont have to drop the rear subframe) Have done a VN and it wasnt very difficult.... Is the process for vt to vz similar to the vn method? RE the above... I dont think I would cut holes to change the fuel pump .... but I understand why you have done so...Im thinking what we are actually seeing (fuel pump location) is a short sighted design flaw where the manufacturer could have fitted access portals to enable quick servicing .... Id imagine the cost of including such in the design would have been so high as to force them to not include such.....lol.....they probably counted on the extra service charges generating income instead.... plus to bring balance to the issue , I guess its a safety issue.... Is it a good idea to enable folk that might not have the skillset to change fuel pumps whereby fire/fume and explosion risks are involved ?....

VYCommodore76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commy
cutting holes like that in your chassis is asking for a defect that can never be lifted. Drop the tank like you are supposed to.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the thing is the early VE had the access hole there anyway, just the series2 onward didnt but they had the flat area where it would have been guess they save some money by not cutting/sealing up a hole in production

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
the thing is the early VE had the access hole there anyway, just the series2 onward didnt but they had the flat area where it would have been guess they save some money by not cutting/sealing up a hole in production

And enhance their dealer network's income.

Embezl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Commodore
I did not cut a whole in the chassis. The chassis is the structural subframe.
I am not recommending anyone should do it this way. Only posted this because I was getting asked how I did it. People can make their own decisions.
Good point about the fuel though. Extreme caution should be taken whenever dealing with any open fuel system.
To quote another member
"I've had 2 pumps replaced within 12 months, if it happens again I'm doing this, labour to drop the subframe & tank is $400"