Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VC HDT tribute build

gmholdman

Reaction score
Members Ride
v6 in FJ ute
Got few more things done this morning, door chrome is back on, plastic bits around the door, mirros back on,console fitted as well.. more cleaning... And rest of the dash has to be painted
What did you do about interior visors ??

Gozza1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1979 Commodore VB
Sun visors and most of those plastic bits including the door cards are painted red.. not good , I ll change them all to hdt burgandy colour so it blends in better, I wish I had 7 K to pay a trimmer to do it all but I am doing the best I can with I got..

gmholdman

Reaction score
Members Ride
v6 in FJ ute
Sun visors and most of those plastic bits including the door cards are painted red.. not good , I ll change them all to hdt burgandy colour so it blends in better, I wish I had 7 K to pay a trimmer to do it all but I am doing the best I can with I got..
May have a couple put away , Will check out when time permits

Gozza1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1979 Commodore VB
The red is way too bright, I did that 2 years ago.. I will paint it all to match this HDT colour same as dash and console

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221211_190259.jpg
    Screenshot_20221211_190259.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_20221211_190541.jpg
    Screenshot_20221211_190541.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 100

Gozza1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1979 Commodore VB
Today I visited a mechanic that was recommended to me, he does all classic cars ,EFI tuning , dyno etc I think he owns a vh as well, booked it for 6 th of March.He will put all mechanical stuff in and get it running, after it leaves his shop , it will most likely be done... and ready for rego.Until then I have to get rest of it done and make sure all parts are ready to go in. Still plenty to do but I am happy that plan finally put in place.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Hope he’s not looking for good VH parts for his car :p:p:p

Always liked the idea of invisible UV pens so one can make their own parts and check that the mechanic or service place does what they should do (change parts when they are supposed to and not change them when they shouldn‘t be touching them)..

Just need a 396nm UV. Lack light torch to see your secret scribbles ;)

Gozza1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1979 Commodore VB
Haha don't think so , shop is legit and nice cars I saw there prove that he knows his stuff but I did take my vin plates off before the paint , that will go on only when car is finished and at my place :)

Reactions: Lex

Gozza1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1979 Commodore VB
Hi All, moved the mechanic untiil the May, still putting little things on, tomorrow all bodykit parts are coming back from the paint and on Saturday mate will spray the back of the car on black around the number plate. I have a question, thinking of upgrading original ignition with coil to msd, what is your opinion of it? MSD8589

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230214_181107.jpg
    Screenshot_20230214_181107.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 77

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute

The 6A

MSD 6A Ignition Control Box

MSD 6201 6A Ignition Control Box

The 6A box is a popular option for the average street and strip application or hobby stock and modified classes. However, if you’re above 12.5:1 compression or 8 pounds of boost you may want to consider the 7 series line-up. The basic 6A offers multiple spark up to 3000 RPM, capacitive discharge, and it’s designed to be used with externally modulated timing controls. The 6A produces full power multiple sparks at each plug, but the number of multiple sparks that occur decreases as rpm increases, the spark will always last for 20 degrees of the crank rotation.

The 6AL

MSD 6AL Ignition Control Box

MSD 6AL Ignition Control Box

Anyone looking for rev control, the 6AL unit is the option for you. The on-board soft touch rev control is one of the main differences between the 6A and 6AL. This means no external rpm modules to plug in anymore, simply adjust the rotary dials located on top and you are ready to go. Like the 6A box, the 6AL has a primary voltage of 520 – 540 volts and secondary of 45,000. The 6A and 6AL series have been dyno tested to deliver efficient spark up to 15,000 rpm.

The 6AL-2

MSD 6AL-2 Box Ignition Control Box

MSD 6AL-2 Box Ignition Control Box

As an upgrade to the 6AL, the 6AL-2 offers a two step soft touch rev control using four rotary dials that are adjustable in 100 rpm increments. This means you can have both a staging rev control for the drag strip, plus a high rpm limit. The 6AL-2 is wrapped in the all new cast aluminum housing with primary voltage rated at 535, secondary at 45,000 volts. It can be used with Hall-effect, points and mag pickup triggers.

The 6BTM

MSD 6BTM Ignition Control Box

MSD 6BTM Ignition Control Box

The 6BTM is designed specifically for supercharged or turbocharged applications. This box offers the ability to control the timing and rev control, but also retard the timing in proportion to the boost pressure by using dash mounted control unit. It’s adjustable from 0-3 degrees of timing per pound of boost, you simply hook up your vacuum line and the box will do the rest. The BTM is supplied with plug in rpm modules for 3,000, 6,000, 7,000, and 8,000 RPM rev limits.