Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Upcoming mods

gmvf6l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 6.0
Hey guys I'm driving a vf calais v 6.0 l77 which is stock all except for xforce exhaust system. In the near future I'm looking at spending approx 20k and can't for the life of me decide on what road to take to get to my desired 450ish rwkw. Supercharger? Turbo? Stroker? Walkinshaw? I just want the power to be thrown back in my seat when I touch that pedal. Anyone have thoughts who have been in the same or similar position to myself? Appreciate any feedback guys. Also located in victoria so any shops that could be recommended would be great, so far I'm looking at gm motors and gpc as they are both local

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Unless you have a tired engine forget stroker, bang for buck it's the most expensive way to get power. Twin turbo used to be the go on the LS1 not sure there is a lot of call for it on the 6L nowadays? Most people go top mount and fit a cam to suit. Top mount has huge torque gains, which sounds like what you're after?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Factor in a diff build too, and fit either a Kaaz or Trutrac. The stock ZF won't last long with boost.

gmvf6l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 6.0
Unless you have a tired engine forget stroker, bang for buck it's the most expensive way to get power. Twin turbo used to be the go on the LS1 not sure there is a lot of call for it on the 6L nowadays? Most people go top mount and fit a cam to suit. Top mount has huge torque gains, which sounds like what you're after?

Hey losh1971 cheers for the feedback, yeah I was more leaning towards the top mount blower, something such as harrop 2300 with a tune and cam, so many cams out there I wouldn't even know where to begin haha. With all these combined I'm hoping I'd be getting up there towards 420rwkw but who really knows.. I just want a proven system that works. Any advice on the cam? Maybe nothing too wild but definitely not mild either

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@07GTS will have advice on the right cam to suit a Harrop 2300.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
im guessing auto ? if u want to spend twice the money then think walkinshaw, or if u want the same if not better products and save money just get them from a known shop to do the work, 20k will get u the blower and fitted/tuned prob cam also which is good to do as well if u want that power, personally i like the Brian tooley PDS camshafts they are designed for the blower and all make good power and drivability,
if u start to go with more overlap u will make a little more torque but also start to need a good tuner and it will affect drivability, the PDS 1 and 2 and even the 3 or there is a 3 torque which would be good can all work on the factory stall just the PDS 3 needs a good tuner, but there are many cams out there and they all will work they just put power in different spots

gmvf6l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 6.0
im guessing auto ? if u want to spend twice the money then think walkinshaw, or if u want the same if not better products and save money just get them from a known shop to do the work, 20k will get u the blower and fitted/tuned prob cam also which is good to do as well if u want that power, personally i like the Brian tooley PDS camshafts they are designed for the blower and all make good power and drivability,

if u start to go with more overlap u will make a little more torque but also start to need a good tuner and it will affect drivability, the PDS 1 and 2 and even the 3 or there is a 3 torque which would be good can all work on the factory stall just the PDS 3 needs a good tuner, but there are many cams out there and they all will work they just put power in different spots

Yeah mate unfortunately stock 6 spd auto which concerns me already, could it handle all this power? I suppose it's going to have to lol. Do you mind me asking what ur currently running and what power it's making? Like I said earlier I definitely want to go with a proven method. Even if that's paying a little extra for the right set up. 2300 blower, cam and tune. Pretty sure the blower kit comes with ls7 lifters which won't hurt either

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
mine is an ongoing build, i got addicted to power and it snowballed from there, alot is my own custom so u may not get much from it but this is where im up to https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/07gts-build-thread.293820/

before the build i was on ethanol and 14psi boost HTV2300 bit over 700 at the treads, manual tho so only clutch to do, with the stock auto u may want to add a bigger sump and cooler and a real good auto tuner should keep it alive, lifters should come with cam kit, stock heads are fine with boost, if u keep it around the 10psi it should last a long time and make sure the fuel system can keep up also petrol may be ok just with a bigger pump, if u go flex fuel and ethanol u will make more power and need full fuel system

gmvf6l

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 6.0
mine is an ongoing build, i got addicted to power and it snowballed from there, alot is my own custom so u may not get much from it but this is where im up to https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/07gts-build-thread.293820/

before the build i was on ethanol and 14psi boost HTV2300 bit over 700 at the treads, manual tho so only clutch to do, with the stock auto u may want to add a bigger sump and cooler and a real good auto tuner should keep it alive, lifters should come with cam kit, stock heads are fine with boost, if u keep it around the 10psi it should last a long time and make sure the fuel system can keep up also petrol may be ok just with a bigger pump, if u go flex fuel and ethanol u will make more power and need full fuel system

Cheers mate I'm just a beginner to all this honestly but quite possibly looking down that unforeseen road no doubt I'll get addicted myself. No such thing as enough power right, this is only the first step. I assume 100s to go knowing me lol. Thanks for your time and goodluck with ur build

crew chief

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Turbo, WB Ute, VF 2300 Harrop
Definitely would go blower, 2650 or 2300 is the only decision you need to work out there, coin toss maybe. Cam is also a must because of the dod rubbish for the scrap steel bin, but cam choice is not so easy as opinions come into it. What do you want? Nasty sounding beast or mild mannered sledgehammer, stock stall convertor? then the issues of driveability come into play, is it a daily or weekender, do you have headers already? Work out exactly what you want and then head to a reputable shop most will have a range of cams they prefer anyway.

I have a 6.0L L77. did cam 218/226 114 from memory (small would probably go bigger) 2300 Harrop (2650 if I did it again) Flex fuel sensor (you may have already depends on year) Fuel system (KPM 1500. has been okay) 3.45LSD recently fitted (You will have 2.92 diff it's not a great gear ratio)