Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Turbo ecotec

Ungy00

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack S2
So I have a standard ecotec engine and I have been told that if I was to turbo it I would have to buy an l67. Would love some feedback and what not.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Bullshit. You can put a turbo on a stock ecotec, the L67 just has stronger pistons/rods so can make a bit more power before failing.

Check out what Nugget Garage (on youtube) did with a turbo ecotec in a VS Commodore (called Kevin the Savage).

Ungy00

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx S pack S2
Bullshit. You can put a turbo on a stock ecotec, the L67 just has stronger pistons/rods so can make a bit more power before failing.

Check out what Nugget Garage (on youtube) did with a turbo ecotec in a VS Commodore (called Kevin the Savage).
So pretty much just run an l67 bottom end like crankshaft, pistons and rods and lower the compression a bit?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You can use the complete Eco engine no need for L67 bottom end.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Maybe I'm writing in gibberish again?

Fairly sure I said the stock ecotec bottom end would be just fine?

Draimond

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive
How much more power can the 67 hold versus the 36?
Isn't it about 350hp, maybe 400hp at the crank where stock 36 rods are known to break.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Go watch the video's from Nugget Garage and see how fast that VS goes and work out how much power they make based on MPH and weight. I think the weakest part of the ecotec are the stock pistons and you really need to pull the pistons out and open up the ring gaps or you are asking for trouble if you start to go after it a bit.

Reactions: Lex

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
From what I recall the difference between the 2 bottom ends is not much as Holden never intended for them to run higher boost. Hence why why the charger used is not performance oriented either compared to others. It seems many are upgrading fuel supply putting in cams after putting on a Turbo, so maybe do a regrind at the same time. See if you can get head gaskets to lower compression and get a nice tune.

Your question about power is any ones guess. Each engine has its own personality, even the same model.

Have you been able to find Turbo kits that allow the Aircon to remain in operation ?