Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tune worth it?

PhantomSV6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Hey i have a stock SV6 190, would there be any point in getting it tuned?

I used to drive an import and back then if you wanted any performance gain or improvement, you needed to at least have a piggy back ECU.

Is this the case for the Alloytec? What are people's experiences?

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS

I used to drive an import and back then if you wanted any performance gain or improvement, you needed to at least have a piggy back ECU.

The standard Holden ECU is fine and does all thats needed. A tune is very helpfull in the discovery to power, im not sure how they go about it in the alloytec's but it shoudnt be too much harder then the earlier models where you just replace the Memcal inside the ECU.

So yes, get a tune done. Hopefully someone can shed some light on their alloytec tune experiences.

PhantomSV6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
How is it actually tuned? Do the tuners have special software that they hook up to the ECU?

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
How is it actually tuned? Do the tuners have special software that they hook up to the ECU?

Well, there are 3 ways,

1st and most expensive is a Dyno tune, which you would know about. They put your car on a dyno and tune it in real time there and then.

2nd. Mail order tune, there are a few places who will send you a pre made tune/memcal/chip that replaces the stock standard one thats in your car.

3rd. Custom Mail order, this is where you talk to a person with eprom buring capabilities and he can make you a mail order memcal/tune to suit your modifications.

Seeing your car has no modifications??? A mail order tune should surfice and will be best bang for buck as compared to a comprehensive Dyno tune.

Now its time for me talk ask a question, its there such a thing like the MAFLESS tune for a Alloytec V6 with a Over the Radiator Cold Air Intake? Or is this LS1/2/3 only?

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
i think mack needs to stop giving advice about putting memcals into cars that dont use them :p

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
i think mack needs to stop giving advice about putting memcals into cars that dont use them :p
So im completely wrong? Well, there you go. Disregard what i have posted since its not relevent to your car.

markbusa

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz one tonner

Hi i just had my vz one tonner on the dyno and retuned on Saturday standard ecu .It used to drive like a pig very lethargic. But now it drives a lot better more responsive dont use as much throttle, didnt get any more peak KWs just gained about 6/8 KWs all the way through only mod is a k&n filter fuel consumption befor was around 12.6 ltrs /100 klm only just filled up and she is on 11.4 ltrs /100 and hopefully getting better .Some thing that the tuner said was in some point of exceleration the timing would advance to 45 deg than drop back to 27 deg so you could imagine it would ping its nut out and dump in a heap of fuel . So even if you dont get it tuned you could always put it on the dyno and just see what it is doing .

andrewmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VE SS
In short a tune on the alloytecs work well.
I had the tune done on the Calais and it opened up the bottom end a little more but increased the midrange quite a bit (overtaking is much easier).
The tune basically seems to enhance the alloytec characteristics so it doesn't help with the lack of torque down low too much (although its a little better) but does help midrange and up higher.
It ran 201.3 RWHP on the dyno which isnt too bad for a stock car with no mods beside the tune.
A CAI and exhaust would help it along a bit I imagine.
I will get an exhaust in the future but want to wait till I hear an alloytec exhaust I like.

PhantomSV6

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Well, there are 3 ways,

1st and most expensive is a Dyno tune, which you would know about. They put your car on a dyno and tune it in real time there and then.

OKay i get the dyno part, but can you define 'tune'. What do they do? ECU tweakage or what? I hope i'm making sense :eek:

Emackulation

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
'92 HSV VP GTS
OKay i get the dyno part, but can you define 'tune'. What do they do? ECU tweakage or what? I hope i'm making sense :eek:
I would think its mainly spark advance and changing some of the other ignition settings.