Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Toyota shoots itself in the tackle

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
Looks my 2019 200 Sahara went up another few $$ ha. It turning out to be the cheapest new car I have purchased. What else can you buy with no shortage of people lining up to pay more for what you spent?

I looked closely at the 300 but couldn't justify the price jump. The loss of the split tailgate is a major error I think, and someone Toyota has made the rear look narrow and boxy at the same time. Interior is miles ahead though.

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Did a return trip to Melbourne early this week with my parents in their 2011 V8 Sahara and it cost around $400 return in diesel to do the 1300km. Insane!

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Did a return trip to Melbourne early this week with my parents in their 2011 V8 Sahara and it cost around $400 return in diesel to do the 1300km. Insane!
Did you get your car back, from having the go fast parts installed? If so, how did it go?

F1Aussie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 COMMODORE
Did you get your car back, from having the go fast parts installed? If so, how did it go?
Not yet, I dropped it in 2 days early so I only had to take 1 day LSL for the trip. They were due to start work on it today and said it would take around a week to do so prob down to Melbourne again the weekend after this one to pick it up and drive back.
Got a good score, was umming and arghing about whether to get a catback or not and decided to go with it one day before they went up a couple of hundred bucks.

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I say we all take our private jests to a gloabal environmental conference and debate the profit potential of CO2 trading credits and the merits of other environmental controls :cool:

Planned obsolescence for all the worlds mass manufactured garbage (products) that we “individuals” continue to consume and then consume again obviously plays no part in global energy consumption, pollution or global warming.
[/sarcasm]

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Electric cars are inevitable. However there’s no infrastructure to handle them. None. Novelty charge points. It will be expensive to charge. It has to be. Why? Well there’s no way the consumer will get energy for nothing.

Now, many car parks have token charge points. What’s it like when everyone has an electric car? Well we either fight for the token charge point or the reality is that car parks will be converted to electric networks. Rebuild every car park so the land owner can charge for you to park and consume their energy. There’s the clincher.

I dread to think of the resources required to convert and rebuild carparks across the country. Then if the shitty shopping centre can’t afford it, a bigger company comes in and rebuilds and converts the whole carpark for them and the shopping centre is seemingly forever in debt to that company for the work.

Fk. Our country can’t even supply electricity to east coast grid. It’s all lots of companies fighting over their energy source dominance and not a free flowing, well managed, integrated network. Australians are kidding themselves. (Note WA kept its state owned power grid and has no supply issues even with incorporating solar, wind, coal and gas to supply electricity)

Throw in the bullshit stunt BMW recently pulled with subscription features. Imagine how gripped by the goolies we are going to be “owning”these cars. All the data about us and how we use them will be sold to who ever wants it.

I usually say if something is free, we are the actual product being sold (shopping rewards etc) but more and more we are paying for something and selling our selves at the same time.

If only we were in control of that info and how it is sold. Not someone else.

Overall the shift is not about environment, but increasing corporate profit and creating a product to sell out of thin air.

We should absolutely look to having more environmentally sensitive transport. Absolutely. Don’t view this as we shouldn’t change our lives because we are not the problem or represent a certain percentage. Every change has to start somewhere. The cars we drive are not going to be a silver bullet. It’s about silver buckshot. Lots of little things make a bigger change.

What does not sit comfortably with me is that we increase energy use in order to decrease energy use. WTF.
Let’s keep our older cars on the road. Let’s keep our clothing longer. Let’s upcycle where possible.

That’s a bit ranty. Sorry.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Electric cars are inevitable. However there’s no infrastructure to handle them. None. Novelty charge points. It will be expensive to charge. It has to be. Why? Well there’s no way the consumer will get energy for nothing.

Now, many car parks have token charge points. What’s it like when everyone has an electric car? Well we either fight for the token charge point or the reality is that car parks will be converted to electric networks. Rebuild every car park so the land owner can charge for you to park and consume their energy. There’s the clincher.

I dread to think of the resources required to convert and rebuild carparks across the country. Then if the shitty shopping centre can’t afford it, a bigger company comes in and rebuilds and converts the whole carpark for them and the shopping centre is seemingly forever in debt to that company for the work.

Fk. Our country can’t even supply electricity to east coast grid. It’s all lots of companies fighting over their energy source dominance and not a free flowing, well managed, integrated network. Australians are kidding themselves. (Note WA kept its state owned power grid and has no supply issues even with incorporating solar, wind, coal and gas to supply electricity)

Throw in the bullshit stunt BMW recently pulled with subscription features. Imagine how gripped by the goolies we are going to be “owning”these cars. All the data about us and how we use them will be sold to who ever wants it.

I usually say if something is free, we are the actual product being sold (shopping rewards etc) but more and more we are paying for something and selling our selves at the same time.

If only we were in control of that info and how it is sold. Not someone else.

Overall the shift is not about environment, but increasing corporate profit and creating a product to sell out of thin air.

We should absolutely look to having more environmentally sensitive transport. Absolutely. Don’t view this as we shouldn’t change our lives because we are not the problem or represent a certain percentage. Every change has to start somewhere. The cars we drive are not going to be a silver bullet. It’s about silver buckshot. Lots of little things make a bigger change.

What does not sit comfortably with me is that we increase energy use in order to decrease energy use. WTF.
Let’s keep our older cars on the road. Let’s keep our clothing longer. Let’s upcycle where possible.

That’s a bit ranty. Sorry.

Most people will just recharge their EV at home - why go to a recharging station for 30 minutes or more when you can plug in at home and just leave it to recharge overnight. I’m not sure why there would be may need to “convert and rebuild carparks across the country”. We don’t have mini petrol bowsers at carparks at the moment so people can ‘top up’ while they shop, so I don’t think we are going to see car parks with charging points dotted all over the place. It’s not like an EV can only go 20km without charging.

The big infrastructure will be needed on the long interstate runs where fast charging is needed to quickly refill the battery. But for everyday city commuting, the bog standard home charger will be more than sufficient.

I don’t think EVs are using ‘more energy’ but rather they are using electrical energy to recharge instead of chemical energy to refuel. The chief advantage is that by (eventually) changing the big central generators from fossil fuels to renewables, it in effect transitions the transport from fossil fuels to renewables too - and everything else that is electrically powered. As you said, it small steps along the way to a complete transition.

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Most people will just recharge their EV at home - … you can plug in at home and just leave it to recharge overnight.
Currently the grid can’t cope with mass home charging of EV‘s.

For such to occur, the grid will need enormous upgrading to the transmission system so it can better cope with mass EV “night” charging. The base load will also need to be increased to cope with EV charging.

Maybe upgrading the transmission system could also include needed work to better cope with more solar feed-in but that’s not going to resolve the base load shortfall in generation capacity without huge investment (and that’s ignoring the write-off in $$$$ from prematurely closing coal generators for political reasons)..

We will have to pay for the investment in network infrastructure and also pay for the loss of fuel excess as certain as the sun rises in the east. Until such work is completed, expect brownouts and blackouts if EV adoption increases too quickly and stresses the current system. Also expect your bills to increase considerably to pay for the desired profits on the generators and retailers want to see on their investment (though I’m sure COVID and Ukraine will be the excuse)…

No free ride…. ever in an EV… Meanwhile the level of environmental benefit is also overly simplified...

Society may be better served with more use of electric mass transit and electric busses but such systems costs governments whereas private EV’s make the government lots and lots of money…

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Most people will just recharge their EV at home - why go to a recharging station for 30 minutes or more when you can plug in at home and just leave it to recharge overnight. I’m not sure why there would be may need to “convert and rebuild carparks across the country”. We don’t have mini petrol bowsers at carparks at the moment so people can ‘top up’ while they shop, so I don’t think we are going to see car parks with charging points dotted all over the place. It’s not like an EV can only go 20km without charging.

The big infrastructure will be needed on the long interstate runs where fast charging is needed to quickly refill the battery. But for everyday city commuting, the bog standard home charger will be more than sufficient.

I don’t think EVs are using ‘more energy’ but rather they are using electrical energy to recharge instead of chemical energy to refuel. The chief advantage is that by (eventually) changing the big central generators from fossil fuels to renewables, it in effect transitions the transport from fossil fuels to renewables too - and everything else that is electrically powered. As you said, it small steps along the way to a complete transition.
More and more people are living in units or townhouses though where charging can be difficult or impossible. If they are going to mandate EVs then they also need to mandate the infrastructure to support them.

I can see exactly how this is going to go. Apartment developers wont install chargers in the basement car parks because there’s nothing in it for them. Body corporates won’t install chargers for the same reason unless the unit owners pay an arm and a leg. Renters won’t be able to get fast chargers installed on a premises they are renting.

Basically it’s going to be a shitfight for anyone who isn’t lucky enough to be an owner occupier.