Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

To GPS or to not GPS

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Car trackers use GPS but are they always on? Can trackers be activated when needed if the car is missing or lost in a car park etc?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Depends on what they are wired to...ie accessory or permanent power....If it were me, I'd make sure it is permanent power....

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Depends on the brand and model, some you can set a safe zone for home or work, anything out that zone it'll track and alert if 4g capable.

As vc commo said, permanent power for always on, or accessories if it has a battery.

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Depends on what they are wired to...ie accessory or permanent power....If it were me, I'd make sure it is permanent power....
If it has permanent power wont it be sending regular messages to your phone/device when you are driving the car and be effectively tracking yourself?

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Depends on the brand and model, some you can set a safe zone for home or work, anything out that zone it'll track and alert if 4g capable.

As vc commo said, permanent power for always on, or accessories if it has a battery.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Only going by a system used on my service vehicle....My boss logs onto his computer to see where I am at any given time...

I do know it's on constant power, however he doesn't have it on his phone

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Only going by a system used on my service vehicle....My boss logs onto his computer to see where I am at any given time...

I do know it's on constant power, however he doesn't have it on his phone

I was wondering how people use it as a security device to track their own car if it is ever stolen, lost or "borrowed"

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I was wondering how people use it as a security device to track their own car if it is ever stolen, lost or "borrowed"

Honestly, I'm no expert, but I'd imagine there would be some app available on your phone to suit certain GPS units to be able to track your car at any time you wish to do so...

If you are looking into them, I'd speak with a place that sells them so they could explain the ins and outs of particular units and then decide which one you think would be best suited to your needs...

Sorry I can't be more helpful

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
I would imagine car fans would make more use of trackers to try to protect their rides.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I would imagine car fans would make more use of trackers to try to protect their rides.

I do hear about cars getting knicked and being tracked by some GPS devise leading the coppers straight to the car....

Be it a fixed devise like you are thinking of, or something like an Ipad/phone/computer that's been left in the car somewhere