Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Super Duper Timing Chain Thread!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
A long video but goes through the process of removing the engine to replace the timing gear of a V6 (and getting the timing correct in the process).

Mickcc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais 2016 Series 2
A long video but goes through the process of removing the engine to replace the timing gear of a V6 (and getting the timing correct in the process).

Huge operation Hope no one has to go through this
but it is a watch one has to do if needed
massive I like the simple v8 before 2000
big learning curve too big for the the average guy

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
another couple of videos

peterhun

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Hi all. My 2010 VE Omega V6 has a permanent P0016 and P0017 codes. I can wipe them, go for a drive and they reappear. Engine has 188k's. I took it to Heartland Holden and asked them if they'd change the Cam/Crank error tolerance before the ECM spits out the codes. I picked up the car and was told that the ECM had the latest firmware and there's nothing they can do but to replace the chains. I'm sure I've read that the firmware can be tweaked. What's the real answer for this please.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Hi all. My 2010 VE Omega V6 has a permanent P0016 and P0017 codes. I can wipe them, go for a drive and they reappear. Engine has 188k's. I took it to Heartland Holden and asked them if they'd change the Cam/Crank error tolerance before the ECM spits out the codes. I picked up the car and was told that the ECM had the latest firmware and there's nothing they can do but to replace the chains. I'm sure I've read that the firmware can be tweaked. What's the real answer for this please.
Sounds like they're saying the software is already running the 'loose' timing chain tolerances. So your chain must have stretched past the limits. If the software is up to date like they told you, You can't make the problem go away by messing with the computer more and more. Eventually the chain will snap or jump a tooth.

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
this a good vid from MS engine reconditioning vic

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'm sure I've read that the firmware can be tweaked. What's the real answer for this please.
The problem is due to hardware defect, that is too much stretch in the elastic chain installed during the engine build.

Holden’s solution was to release an ECU update that relaxed the associated parameters before the ECU will throw a chain stretch code. Only Holden knows how much those parameters could be relaxed before valve and piston played smacksies (given variable valve timing failure can also impact this) and one can only guess that Holden relaxed them as much as was possible…

In essence this solution was just Holden kicking the can down the road and pushing the problem out of the factory warranty period and onto the vehicle owner.

The real solution is and always has been to fix the hardware defect which means new chains, guides and tensioners.

rattletechMY10

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega Series 1 Wagon
Hi all,

My series 1 ve wagon is experiencing stretched timing chain issues after my old mechanic supposedly replaced the chains only 15,000km ago.

I do drive with a heavy foot, but I by no means put my engine through the ringer, never sit at redline, and never push it at all before the oil heats up.

I had some overheating issues a couple of months back, and the engine was reaching ~105ºC at times, but this has since been fixed, I figured after this it would be a good idea to get the car serviced and the oil changed before it caused any damage, but it turns out it's too late.

Car has always been serviced regularly, and after receiving it at 214,000km I have serviced it at 220,000km and again at 229,000km.

Does anyone know of chains going this quickly? Or is this original mechanic dodgy?

I'm going to drop into his shop and ask him how he thinks this could happen, and would like to hear some of your guys' opinions first.

Thanks.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Checking timing with an oscilloscope and a known good wave form is a solid idea before throwing coin at guesses about timing chains.

Unfortunately for most this is the only way to diagnose faults on our Commodores and the tech is expensive and takes some skill to do.

As long as people understand that, they can tell if a mechanic is having a lend or not.

Phil G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ii Commodore SV6
Is a timing chain replacement considered preventative maintenance? I have a 2010 SV6 series 2 and no obvious chain rattle or other symptoms, but just curious if others would suggest getting new chains done at a certain number of kms? I'm at 165,000km and the car has been well looked after and is it generally great shape. Just worried about neglecting the chains. I guess with a good OEM kit I should get at least another 100k out of the car without worrying about chains right?