Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

The Bicycle Thread.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Also I heard on my 9 speed Sora chain set I can run an 11 speed chain? Anyone done this?

The gear rating of the chain is relevant to the number of links with most brands. The higher you go the thinner it gets so you're always best of getting the correct rating. You also won't have to take any links out unless you have a tension preference

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
The gear rating of the chain is relevant to the number of links with most brands. The higher you go the thinner it gets so you're always best of getting the correct rating. You also won't have to take any links out unless you have a tension preference

The 11 speed chains are thinner. I think the 9 speed is standard thickness. Apprantly because the 11 speed is used on $7000 groupsets which are on 14k bikes they're higher quality.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
No issue with going the 2x groupsets, just my personal preference is to have as little to tune as possible.
Mind you Most of my bikes are all single speed.

Chains are a width thing on the external, well from my understanding.
With more speeds on the rear cassette they get narrower to fit the area.
And a bit of reading says that you can use an 11spd on a 9spd but it may be a bit slower to pick up on gear changes.
Mind you I havent bought anything other than a 3/32 for a long time (although did recently snap one clean through)

Quality wise it may vary, but just stick to a good name and they are fine. Much of the extra they give the average person would never notice or is very gimmicky.
Ie you might notice it if you change a chain every ride or 2 as an elite athlete.
Oh and keep them lubricated (personal pref is to use sewing machine oil)

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I have been looking for 'Bicycle Race' video by Queen, and can't find it..
It seems that it is now inappropriate, and has been consigned with other X rated videos for perverted dirty old men.
No fun in the world anymore. :(

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
My 2 , I'm not interested in road bike bars.

A 09 Scott scale 50 hard tail and a 2012 giant cross city rx 1 flat bar road bike'
For the time of release , Giant runs an entry level road bike frame , V brakes ,Shimano 105 2x 10sp , crankset is Shimano R600 compact 34 x 50 T, cassette was Shimano 105 10 sp 12 - 27 T ,, now running Shimano 105 5700 10sp 11 -28T cassette.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have been looking for 'Bicycle Race' video by Queen, and can't find it..
It seems that it is now inappropriate, and has been consigned with other X rated videos for perverted dirty old men.
No fun in the world anymore. :(

Time for a protest by us older generation at the inappropriate classification of such time pieces....It takes away our right to remember the good old days...:)

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
The 11 speed chains are thinner. I think the 9 speed is standard thickness. Apprantly because the 11 speed is used on $7000 groupsets which are on 14k bikes they're higher quality.

That's what I said. The higher you go the thinner the chain gets. It's simply because you have more gears in the same space, so there's less room. 7 and 8 are the same thickness, 9, 10, 11, 12 are progressive. So buy the chain that suits the cassette. Quality is relevant to the brand and type. I only use KMC

My current 10 gear build is an exception because I put a 51 tooth high gear on so it needs more links. I was tight and got an 12 speed chain, instead of two 10's like I should. Not about strength, it's about that snug fit and efficiency of gear changes. The chain not only rides on the centre (tooth) for drive, it rides on the sides for gear changes, so you want something to suit the gap perfectly

Last edited:

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
That's what I said. The higher you go the thinner the chain gets. It's simply because you have more gears in the same space, so there's less room. 7 and 8 are the same thickness, 9, 10, 11, 12 are progressive. So buy the chain that suits the cassette

My current 10 gear build is an exception because I put a 51 tooth high gear on so it needs more links. I was tight and got an 12 speed chain, instead of two 10's like I should. Not about strength, it's about that snug fit and efficiency of gear changes. The chain not only rides on the centre (tooth) for drive, it rides on the sides for gear changes, so you want something to suit the gap perfectly

Yea now I get what you're saying.
If it was me I would've just jammed two quick links on two 10 speed chains and used my managers chain breaker.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Yea now I get what you're saying.
If it was me I would've just jammed two quick links on two 10 speed chains and used my managers chain breaker.

That's always been the plan but the 12 works fine so I never had the incentive to spend 100 bucks more. Even the 2kW I put through it doesn't seem to bother it much