Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Tech2 configuration

theonewm

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 WM Caprice
Hello brain trust I need help from a tech2 gurus ,Holden has stuffed me around with my WM caprice 6.0 with getting all my modules talking to each other , I have. Code U0155 , C0161,C0561 and C0569 any help will be much appreciated as I would like to get the car back on the road

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
The Vident i400 can link modules.
The Tech2 is getting difficult for even Holden to use if @Jolls experience is anything to go by.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
With my experience, Tech2 is a great unit,
I had one and found it great to get around the ECU and BCM,
But you need a registration to use it too its full potential,

But,
An aftermarket one would be a better option. (Requires no registration)
And could potentially assist your issue.

Code
U0155 - Lost Comm With Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Ctrl Mod
C0161 - ABS/TCS Brake Switch Circuit Malfunction [Sounds like a CAS Buss Issue Also]
C0561 - CAN - Bus Invalis Data

Has 2 possible causes -
C0569 - System Wrong Configuration [EBCM]
C0569 - System Configuration Error [RFA]

Last edited:

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Hi @theonewm

Can you provide some more info on why you think that it is related to the modules not being liked?

Have one of them been replaced?

What scanner did you use to get the codes?

Can you crank the engine and no start or is there nothing at all?

@krusing has identified a couple of likely causes; however, depending on what scanner you use there are codes that can get missed. My tech 2 still tells me there is a mismatch between the VZ BCM I have installed and the rest of the configuration even though I linked them with a Vident scanner. The Vident doesn't care at all. If I load it up as a VZ the Tech 2 doesn't care too much as the TACM doesn't matter. I simply ignore the warning and plough ahead with the Tech 2. When I get some time I will try to reprogram a fob (kindly provided by @krusing) and get the VY BCM back up and running. A little bit off track but an example of what two different scanners think of the same issue.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Forgot to add - how you go about it depends on the Tech 2 you have - a real one or a clone. Getting a clone to work is hit and miss - some guys have success - others, like me, have ploughed hours in trying to get security authorisation only to buy a bi directions scanner for the task. The bi - directional scanner is good, but the Tech 2 provides so much more specific functionality.

Now that the cost pain is gone I'm glad I have both.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

theonewm

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 WM Caprice
Forgot to add - how you go about it depends on the Tech 2 you have - a real one or a clone. Getting a clone to work is hit and miss - some guys have success - others, like me, have ploughed hours in trying to get security authorisation only to buy a bi directions scanner for the task. The bi - directional scanner is good, but the Tech 2 provides so much more specific functionality.

Now that the cost pain is gone I'm glad I have both.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls
Sorry for taking so long been away for a work related industry award night last night , the reson is I did have a brake module replaced by Holden and that did programme to the car but then pushed the car to the back of line every day for almost 2 mouth’s and did not fix it for what it went in for ( to busy with Hyundai‘s and Mitsubishi and not caring about Holdens ) and I do have my own Tech2 and the only thing I can figure out is non of the modules are talking to each other , everything works it start’s fine and runs just have the codes from my Tech2

theonewm

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 WM Caprice
With my experience, Tech2 is a great unit,
I had one and found it great to get around the ECU and BCM,
But you need a registration to use it too its full potential,

But,
An aftermarket one would be a better option. (Requires no registration)
And could potentially assist your issue.

Code
U0155 - Lost Comm With Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Ctrl Mod
C0161 - ABS/TCS Brake Switch Circuit Malfunction [Sounds like a CAS Buss Issue Also]
C0561 - CAN - Bus Invalis Data

Has 2 possible causes -
C0569 - System Wrong Configuration [EBCM]
C0569 - System Configuration Error [RFA]
I am thinking it’s just a configuration problem just trying to figure out how to fix it

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
If it starts and runs fine the modules are talking. If they aren't it won't start. If the PCM and BCM are mismatched the PCM sends a no start signal.

This is how the start sequence runs:

When the key is inserted into the ignition switch cylinder the BCM polls the key through the slip ring and contact pin to check the remote code on the key using the remote code reader. If the code is correct the BCM deactivates the theft deterrent system (the security light on the dash will turn off).

We know from this that the fob can be read by the BCM and the BCM can communicate with the instrument cluster.

The system then completes it self check. The Instrument Panel Cluster provides visual information to the driver via the MFD.

This means that the instrument cluster is sending and receiving serial data.

On vehicles with a GEN III V8 engine, the BCM polls the PIM and sends an encrypted BCM / key security code when the ignition is turned on.
The security code is received via the BCM slip ring, or via the remote receiver in the event of no slip ring communication. The PIM compares the received security code with its stored security code and if the codes match, enables continued engine cranking.

The engine cranks so the PIM receives the code; therefore, the BCM and PIM are communicating.

The PIM then sends a separate encrypted security code to the PCM. The PCM compares this code with its stored security code and if the codes match, enables injector fueling to continue. The PIM returns an OK TO START message to the BCM, which tells the BCM to jump from SHORT
LOOP mode to LONG LOOP mode.

The engine starts so the PIM and the PCM are communicating. These are all of the important modules.

Are you seeing current or history codes? Do the codes came back immediately after you clear them?

Do you have a copy of the VT-VZ service manual that you can download from this site? If not it is what you need to diagnose it further.

I trust this helps.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Last edited:

theonewm

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 WM Caprice
If it starts and runs fine the modules are talking. If they aren't it won't start. If the PCM and BCM are mismatched the PCM sends a no start signal.

This is how the start sequence runs:

When the key is inserted into the ignition switch cylinder the BCM polls the key through the slip ring and contact pin to check the remote code on the key using the remote code reader. If the code is correct the BCM deactivates the theft deterrent system (the security light on the dash will turn off).

We know from this that the fob can be read by the BCM and the BCM can communicate with the instrument cluster.

The system then completes it self check. The Instrument Panel Cluster provides visual information to the driver via the MFD.

This means that the instrument cluster is sending and receiving serial data.

On vehicles with a GEN III V8 engine, the BCM polls the PIM and sends an encrypted BCM / key security code when the ignition is turned on.
The security code is received via the BCM slip ring, or via the remote receiver in the event of no slip ring communication. The PIM compares the received security code with its stored security code and if the codes match, enables continued engine cranking.

The engine cranks so the PIM receives the code; therefore, the BCM and PIM are communicating.

The PIM then sends a separate encrypted security code to the PCM. The PCM compares this code with its stored security code and if the codes match, enables injector fueling to continue. The PIM returns an OK TO START message to the BCM, which tells the BCM to jump from SHORT
LOOP mode to LONG LOOP mode.

The engine starts so the PIM and the PCM are communication. These are all of the important modules.

Are you seeing current or history codes? Do the codes came back immediately after you clear them?

Do you have a copy of the VT-VZ service manual that you can download from this site? If not it is what you need to diagnose it further.

I trust this helps.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls
Thanks Jolls I will look further into it when I get a chance, I will download the service manual and have a good read.