Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

sump removal

Grumpygary

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy exec
Hi All

I've got a completely stuffed sump plug, it wouldn't move and I stuffed it completely trying to loosen it.( yes I was using a 6 point socket before it self destructed). My question is , can I remove the sump without lifting the engine and could i relocate the sump plug to the front of the motor fore easier access without stuffing anything up. Thanks

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Good chance you are going the wrong way if it won't come undone.

Old carpenter mate rings me this week and say's I can't undo the plug on the sump on my auto box (pajero)
I said don't butcher it
He said too late
I said you are going the wrong way
He said no I am not
I went down with my plumbers footprints (a cross between stillsons and multi grips)
Undid it easy as
He said I must have been doing it wrong way
No shiit sherlock

Now he has stripped a couple of bolts into the captive nuts in the chassis holding the cross member at the back of the box
I think he bought $250 in tools taps and bolts yesterday to attempt to fix this latest problem

As to you wanting to remove the sump I have no idea if it will come out without the engine raised, but if you can get it off you will then need to purchase a plug and nut section for the sump, no idea where you will get them, then you will have to pay someone to weld it in place

My son works with mig tig oxy and arc welders but yesterday attempted to weld an alloy bar for my drop saw but due to the poor alloy casting it was not practical and kept breaking

You have been warned.

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Find a grunty round speaker magnet and tape or glue it to the sump around the plug hole Step drill the bolt... collapse it in on itself or drill it right out and either re tap the standard thread or find a larger diameter sump plug and tap a new thread... plug the hole with a cork or whatever and pour in 4 or 5l of trans fluid then remove the magnet and pull the cork/plug and hope that all the metal flows out with the trans fluid.....this way you dont have to weld the sump ....Ive never done this but seems to me to be much easier than dropping sump... my 10 cents...

Grumpygary

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy exec
Good chance you are going the wrong way if it won't come undone.

Old carpenter mate rings me this week and say's I can't undo the plug on the sump on my auto box (pajero)
I said don't butcher it
He said too late
I said you are going the wrong way
He said no I am not
I went down with my plumbers footprints (a cross between stillsons and multi grips)
Undid it easy as
He said I must have been doing it wrong way
No shiit sherlock

Now he has stripped a couple of bolts into the captive nuts in the chassis holding the cross member at the back of the box
I think he bought $250 in tools taps and bolts yesterday to attempt to fix this latest problem

As to you wanting to remove the sump I have no idea if it will come out without the engine raised, but if you can get it off you will then need to purchase a plug and nut section for the sump, no idea where you will get them, then you will have to pay someone to weld it in place

My son works with mig tig oxy and arc welders but yesterday attempted to weld an alloy bar for my drop saw but due to the poor alloy casting it was not practical and kept breaking

You have been warned.
Righty Tighty Lefty Loosey. Definitely went the right way

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
If it was me I would just use my spiral sockets.

But if you have a welder you can weld a nut on and use that.

Relocating the sump plug, I assume it's a VY? if so both the V6 and V8 are ally so you need to weld a bung on for the threads, so you need to have a TIG welder with AC capability, so if you have that, just weld a nut onto the sump plug and undo it.

You can also use a chisel to break it free, I assume it's the big V6 plug, once you break it free you can buy a new plug, most auto stores keep the V6 ones in stock, but don't hit it too hard or it will be second hand sump time.

You have to jack the engine up and lower the cross member a little, you don't have to remove the bolts but just loosen them and undo the steering coupling, this is to get the sump out as it has to clear the pickup. Then you have to **** around cleaning the gasket surfaces, much easier to just leave the sump on.

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
To get the sump off you need to support the engine from above and then drop the k frame.
the oil pickup prevents the pan being removed with everything still in place.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
To get the sump off you need to support the engine from above and then drop the k frame.
the oil pickup prevents the pan being removed with everything still in place.

Thanks parrot.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Thanks parrot.

And you wonder why you have a bad rap?

And where did you say anything about supporting the engine from above? You said you needed to jack the motor up, which might be the same or different depending on your perspective. I jack the engine up by putting a jack under the engine to lift it up!

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
1709356696193.png

:)

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
When my sump thread grenaded on my Eco I carefully tapped an m15 x 1.5 replacement. I was fortunate the thread peeled cleanly cause drilling would be difficult

Reactions: Lex