Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stuck oil filter cap

brmadmin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventurer @ Ve Sedan hers
Hi folks just bought a ve wagon on the cheep engine light on 0008 code so I thought ok say 5-600 bucks for chains gaskets oil etc still a good deal at $2400. Drove it 300 k's home great economy no noise I mean quiet as a mouse and great power. Motor was rebuilt by previous and spending 5 grand on rebuild 70,000 km,s I assumed a short motor so purchase made sense. first thing I did was try a new bank 1 exhaust cam timmer and try and clean the intake wow what a mess

IMG_20201210_194738_1[1].jpg
That got me thinking long story short drilled out the PCV I went 4mm top and 3 mm on both bottom holes. It,s a start, got a catch can going on soon, back to diagnose next I though let's look at the oil filter and by the heading, you got it the cap was that tight recon welding it on would be easier to get it off. first, try socket extension and breaker bar with 4-foot pipe thought it's coming hmm no the extension twisted of and snapped cheap crap my fault. Ok what to do thought as the thread is internally why not let physics do the job so the next step was to get a can of spray freeze I got it from Jaycar but any should work. My theory was to heat engine then spray freeze on cap only to shrink the internal cap and thread, so I gave it a go.

I tried spraying it on then get a socket and try to loosen no luck thought try having a socket on the nut and continuously spraying while undoing bingo that did the trick using only the short 12-inch breaker bar I left motor idling and when cap had shrunk from the cold came easily.

I took out the filter and as I thought I don't think it was changed since rebuild here's a pic yuk

IMG_20201228_133428.jpg

So I have a new filter in for now recon will try oil change engine flush and another filter possibly could be oiling problem as the adjusters on T/C are hydraulic might have a sticky one who knows worth a try before chains.

N/B took it too Motors Burnie as they recon there is a upgrade for the sensor on my car took it to them 200 k,s away and gave em $70 for them to say there wasn't an upgrade for it Hmm went on factory forum and saw that the only year there is no upgrade for the computer is the 2009 you would think a holden dealer would have known that hey

Any way will keep this thread going and let you all know my trials thanks all

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
The trick with oil filter cap is to never screw it right down hard.
As it just starts to nip then stop as the new ring that comes with filter will seal it, and make it simple to undo next time.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
to remove, i put tension on them with ring spanner and then give a tap with hammer to jar the threads
i have tried not too tight, caused leaks
anti-seize, did nothing
wire brush cap threads, did nothing

brmadmin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventurer @ Ve Sedan hers
The trick with oil filter cap is to never screw it right down hard.
As it just starts to nip then stop as the new ring that comes with filter will seal it, and make it simple to undo next time.
Thanks Gossie yea recon the mechanic saw a 24mm nut and thought must be 100 forot pound torque . just a hint someone else may be able to use As I said just purchased it and going through it now