Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Steering Wheel Controls

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey guys,

Anyone know if VT/VX steering wheel controls will fit on a VS steering wheel, or different shape or something? Looking at getting some for my VS.

Cheers,
Ben

Rodimus

Piston broke...
Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 Caprice Series II
Don't think so. I got a pair off a VT wheel and while they were the same shape, the connector was different.
Thought I'd be smart and solder the connection off my old busted controls (only two wires, what could go wrong?). Fitted great but the volume down button set off the horn. Idiot.
Closer inspection revealed additional wiring in the VT controls.
In my case I was replacing existing controls, so not sure if the connector and wiring through the steering column to the radio is standard if your VS wasn't fitted with them from factory. So other than sharing my fun, I can't advise much else of what not to do

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Yea will mount fine, but connector is different, iirc vs is 1 wire and the vt is 2 wire. Can't be sure on number of wires but definately a different plug.

MuckUte

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Cross 8
VS and VT use different signals for the steering wheel controls, the VS system also uses a decoder box between the buttons and the stereo.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Ok thanks guys, I think I understand haha. Does it make any difference that I will be using them with an aftermarket headunit? With my WH Statesman I had the controls wired up so they would work with the aftermarket headunit and they worked really well.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
If U use a Pac U should be ok, but the vt controls won't plug into to the existing wiring so U won't get the signal down past the horn. U'll need the VS one unless U hack the controls and wire it up to a remote which can be hidden behind the horn pad.

sk2304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore 'S' pack.
I've got VS steering wheels controls if your interested.

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8