Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starting in overdrive

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
My VH has a VP V8 4 speed auto. It starts in park ok, wont start in neutral but will start in overdrive. Normally I start in park so it isn't a problem. It won't start in any other gear. Anyone any idea what the cure is and is it common?

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
My VH has a VP V8 4 speed auto. It starts in park ok, wont start in neutral but will start in overdrive. Normally I start in park so it isn't a problem. It won't start in any other gear. Anyone any idea what the cure is and is it common?
Have you looked underneath at the shift linkage. Bolt may have come loose?

Low tranny fluid?

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you looked underneath at the shift linkage. Bolt may have come loose?

Low tranny fluid?
IT has been like it since I had the motor put in about 1999 or thereabouts. The auto was rebuilt a few years ago after someone at a garage decided to take it for a spin.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Shifter out of adjustment?

Can you select right down to first gear?

Reactions: Lex

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
So what does the car do when you start it in overdrive? Does it move forward? Does it accelerate?

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes it does. The car would take off like it would normally do if I put it drive after starting. It's never been an issue because It was only by mistake that it happens as I always start in park. However it has only happened twice in the 23-24 years that the engine and auto have been in the car.. I will ask a transmission place today and see what they have to say.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Yes it does. The car would take off like it would normally do if I put it drive after starting. It's never been an issue because It was only by mistake that it happens as I always start in park. However it has only happened twice in the 23-24 years that the engine and auto have been in the car.. I will ask a transmission place today and see what they have to say.
That sounds like the neutral safety switch? When working correctly will only allow you to start in neutral or park.