Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starter motors

81VHSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
G’day all,
Looking at putting a new starter on my VH (383ci). It currently has a CVR on it that works well when cold but has recently been struggling when hot. My engine has a locked MSD so that doesn’t help but I want to replace it before I get stuck somewhere. Will more than likely replace with another CVR but was looking at the Aeroflow units and they look good? And have some features that the CVR don’t. Anyone had experience good bad or ugly with them or is there another recommendation I could look at?
Cheers.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Tried putting a heat blanket around the starter to protect it from the exhaust system radiant heat?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Also, been a VH have you added a relay to the starter circuit with a decent size feed directly from the battery? Highly recommended if you haven't done so already. Should improve starting and protect the ignition switch from getting burnt out.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I'll tag @someguy360 ...I believe he has a CVR starter in his car and has recently put a shield around his starter to help with deflecting heat....

Will leave him explain if he sees this thread....

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
I'll tag @someguy360 ...I believe he has a CVR starter in his car and has recently put a shield around his starter to help with deflecting heat....

Will leave him explain if he sees this thread....
Yep correct,

My CVR starter is millimeters from my headers and after driving for 15-20 minutes the starter gets heatsoaked and won't crank again until it cools down.

I bought some of this in the hopes it will sort it

Starter issues are common with these engines, even the stock starter motors suffer from heatsoak when too close to aftermarket headers but the aftermarket starters are usually on an angle which brings them even closer to the headers and makes the issue worse.

I'll let you know how I get on with mine. I don't think replacing the start with a different brand will fix your issue, CVR is the best in the industry.

The other thing to ensure is you have big beefy earths and a good supply cable for the starter. These starters pull a lot more amps than the factory units. If your starter cable is too thin or your earths aren't up to scratch that can also cause hot start issues. I had this exact issue with an aeroflow alternator on another car, the earths weren't good enough and would barely crank hot, as soon as the earths were upgraded it was perfect.

A 383 with decent compression and a CVR starter will require a lot thicker cables than stock (positive and earths).

Last edited:

81VHSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Thanks for all the info, I’ll make some changes and see how it goes. I wasn’t necessarily changing brands to cure it. My CVR has been working fine in the 3 years I’ve had the car and I’m not sure how long before that. It’s only recently seeming to struggle when hot so I was just going to put a new one on it thinking it’s done it’s time and exploring other options but if CVR is the best then I’ll stick with them. Cheers.