Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Starter Motor Spanner EH onwards

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
And I see the lever that is used to change the direction of the ratchetting side is as flimsy as all get go...

You'd think, for a product as expensive as they are, they'd fix the issue, but nope...

A comparison of a crap on ratchet lever to an elcheapo ratchet lever...

View attachment 266924
I have a snapon ratchet like the one on the left. Easily the best ratchet I’ve ever owned. I rarely use others.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I have a snapon ratchet like the one on the left. Easily the best ratchet I’ve ever owned. I rarely use others.

My snap on ratchet was my go to ratchet until the lever broke off....Rather piss poor, something worth $300+ has such a pathetic lever, where as the elcheapo $30ish one has a much thicker lever....That's what makes me shake my head in discust

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My snap on ratchet was my go to ratchet until the lever broke off....Rather piss poor, something worth $300+ has such a pathetic lever, where as the elcheapo $30ish one has a much thicker lever....That's what makes me shake my head in discust
Mehhhh, Snap On, is for those who love bragging rights......

gmholdman

Reaction score
Members Ride
v6 in FJ ute
Here's the FJ brake tool, mine is basically the same just rusty.

An fj brake tool is very similar to a bike tyre removal tool, brakes are adjusted by wheel cylinder piston each end of the cylinder.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That looks more like a drum puller for fox fj.
Yeah I think its some sort of puller for brakes. I've never looked up how its used.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
And I see the lever that is used to change the direction of the ratchetting side is as flimsy as all get go...

You'd think, for a product as expensive as they are, they'd fix the issue, but nope...

A comparison of a crap on ratchet lever to an elcheapo ratchet lever...

View attachment 266924

So in 16 years working on cars, 9 in 10 people I've worked with have Snap-on ratchets, not Snap-on tools as such, but everyone likes their ratchets.
I've never seen that break, then even if it breaks, guess what? The guy on the truck will throw a ratchet kit at it and the lever is part of the kit.

I have 4 3/8th flex heads, one is one kit deep the other has had three in the standard size, the extra long has had two and multi position like in the link has had 0 kits through it.

I have a 1/4 extra long flex head that has had two kits.

I have never paid for any of those repairs.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Speaking of old Holden tools, I made a control arm bush tool to install the threaded pins into the cross member on old Holden's.
I'll try and get a photo of it at work on Monday.

I haven't used it since my days at the suspension shop years ago.

Edit also I have a 150mm extension bent 90 degree, it is mainly used in that ratchet head I posted earlier, it has a square drive in the back too, so I use the extension in the back hole and I can ratchet around corners, I used this for a starter motor once.

Last edited:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
So in 16 years working on cars, 9 in 10 people I've worked with have Snap-on ratchets, not Snap-on tools as such, but everyone likes their ratchets.
I've never seen that break, then even if it breaks, guess what? The guy on the truck will throw a ratchet kit at it and the lever is part of the kit.

I have 4 3/8th flex heads, one is one kit deep the other has had three in the standard size, the extra long has had two and multi position like in the link has had 0 kits through it.

I have a 1/4 extra long flex head that has had two kits.

I have never paid for any of those repairs.

Paying around $300 for a ratchet that has a twig for a lever is beyond a joke, especially when you can see a $30 ratchet has a thicker lever.

And as a mechanic, you need your tools to do your job....Having to wait a week for that to be repaired is beyond a joke....

I have sp tools as well....I had an issue with the 3/8 ratchet in that kit....1/2 hour later I had a brand new one sitting back in my tool box....Majority of that time was heading to and from the shop for a free replacement....

I'm not compaining about it being bad to use...The complaint is simple...A twig for a lever. And you surposedly being a mechanic should be able to see the difference and see how pathetic it is