Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stability control fault & ESP off

cahpinter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Wagon 2010 V6
Hi,

I just had this issue yesterday when I drove my commodore wagon a couple metres from home and felt that something was wrong with the wheels (like brakes stuck). I saw on the screen that there is a "stability ctrl fault" and "ESP off". I just replaced the battery last year, so I don't think the problem is battery. I disconnected the battery for one night and connected again this morning. The problem is still the same. Does anyone have experience with this same problem? Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.
Thank you

Stability control fault.jpeg

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Hi,

I just had this issue yesterday when I drove my commodore wagon a couple metres from home and felt that something was wrong with the wheels (like brakes stuck). I saw on the screen that there is a "stability ctrl fault" and "ESP off". I just replaced the battery last year, so I don't think the problem is battery. I disconnected the battery for one night and connected again this morning. The problem is still the same. Does anyone have experience with this same problem? Any suggestions or comments are appreciated.
Thank you

View attachment 267911
lots of info on this fault a lot are easy fixes new wiring loom on rear is common. Best to get codes read so you know problem

cahpinter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Wagon 2010 V6
lots of info on this fault a lot are easy fixes new wiring loom on rear is common. Best to get codes read so you know problem
Hi, @blackvxss ,
Thank you so much for the information. I've read some postings on this forum. Some of them said to clean or change the ABS or wheel sensor. Do you mean the "new wiring loom on the rear", such as in the following picture?.
1715501914077.png

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Hi,

Thank you

View attachment 267911
A poor charge system can destroy a good battery in months, let also e a year.

Assume nothing.

Get the battery load tested.
Get the battery health checked. (Percentage of charge it can hold)

Have the charge circuit tested and confirmed ok.

There are $50 devices that do all that. Every Ve owner should have one. They eat batteries like a cam girls pleasure device.

Topdon BT100 or Century Battery monitor. https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/century-century-bm12v-battery-monitor/601801.html

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Now once those are confirmed good, not guessed or assumed, but with absolute solid evidence of all those things, you would move forward to checking earth points throughout the harness are clean, free of surface corrosion and torqued up nicely.

Then once confirmed after physically cleaning them and torquing them nice and snug, you move to the next thing. The ABS sub harnesses.

Of note: The VE ECM will ration voltage to systems deemed less of a priority that keeping the engine running. One of the first to be knocked out is the ABS and traction systems. The car log a fault code as a result. This does not directly indicate a fault there. The previous steps should be explored before moving forward.

Imaging hearing an engine noise and jumping to the conclusion the engine needs replacing only to discover the noise is still there and there was a loose bolt on the wiper motor.

Do the cheap basic easy stuff first to confirm they are known good. Then move on.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
You might very well find a high end bidirectional scan tool finds something.

cahpinter

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Wagon 2010 V6
A poor charge system can destroy a good battery in months, let also e a year.

Assume nothing.

Get the battery load tested.
Get the battery health checked. (Percentage of charge it can hold)

Have the charge circuit tested and confirmed ok.

There are $50 devices that do all that. Every Ve owner should have one. They eat batteries like a cam girls pleasure device.

Topdon BT100 or Century Battery monitor. https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/century-century-bm12v-battery-monitor/601801.html
Hi @Fu Manchu , sorry I haven't bought the battery check tool yet, but I tried to use engineering mode of the commodore to check the battery. As seen in the screenshot, the battery voltage is 11.7 V and the battery charge is 69.8% (these results are after a long time of idle). I checked on the internet, and the normal battery seems to be 12.6 to 14.4 volts. So, it seems my battery is weak? What do you think?

batteryvoltage.jpeg

battery.jpeg

Last edited: