Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

speed cameras, again.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Surely it would be quicker to get roadside assist to do it, unless they had no spare or multiple flats

Most cars now don’t even come with a viable spare. Realistically if you’re out of suburbia then the most viable safe option is a tow truck because space savers are restricted to 80kph and are for short duration use. Hardly ideal if you get a flat out in the boonies.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Most cars now don’t even come with a viable spare. Realistically if you’re out of suburbia then the most viable safe option is a tow truck because space savers are restricted to 80kph and are for short duration use. Hardly ideal if you get a flat out in the boonies.
Some cars have a small space saver spare wheel. The problem can be that those cars may not be able to fit a full size road wheel where the space saver normally lives. In such cars, the road wheel may need to be put into the luggage compartment or cabin, depending on what one is carrying. And in those instances, you can bet you'd get a flat when it's dark and wet outside :p

Not sure is the ZB uses a smaller space saver and suffers form the problem of whee to put the full size spare wheel :eek:

I've always liked a full size spare wheel that live under the rear of the car. In such cases the spare wheel can be lowerd onto the road using a crank handle without having to remove all the stuff you may have in the boot. Then the flat wheel can be raised back up under the car after being changed. QED.

Toyota Kluga is one such POS while the Commodore ute is another :cool: Meanwhile the commodore sedan's full size spare is an effort to get out of the boot :oops: Guess I should go to the gym more ofter :p:p:p

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Some cars have a small space saver spare wheel. The problem can be that those cars may not be able to fit a full size road wheel where the space saver normally lives. In such cars, the road wheel may need to be put into the luggage compartment or cabin, depending on what one is carrying. And in those instances, you can bet you'd get a flat when it's dark and wet outside :p

Not sure is the ZB uses a smaller space saver and suffers form the problem of whee to put the full size spare wheel :eek:

I've always liked a full size spare wheel that live under the rear of the car. In such cases the spare wheel can be lowerd onto the road using a crank handle without having to remove all the stuff you may have in the boot. Then the flat wheel can be raised back up under the car after being changed. QED.

Toyota Kluga is one shut POS while the Commodore ute is another :cool: Meanwhile the commodore sedan's full size spare is an effort to get out of the boot :oops: Guess I should go to the gym more ofter :p:p:p
My Maloo came with a full-sized spare, 20"x8.5" wheel and 245 tire, but still had the yellow 80kmh decal on it.
Now it lives under the Magnum, without the decal. :cool:

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Of the Commodores I've owned the 2007 ve ss ute had a full size spare. Can't remember what the vt clubsport or the vz r8 had but the ve redline I now own has a full size spare as does the vs ute.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Exactly. Having to explain yourself to an officer probably has a lot more impact with people than a fine in the mail two weeks later.
The real benefit of being pulled over by police is that it provides an immediate consequence to one's "dangerous" speeding.

As a result one has the ability to modify their behaviour immediately. But having a speed camera system that can take a month or two before one is notified of their transgression just doesn't provide the same ability for change of behaviour for their supposedly "dangerous" action that may have continued while stuff was being "processed"... Meanwhile the processing delay just risks other road users for a cash grab.

What's also bad is that the notification can lag the offence by months such that one can get 3 or 4 offences in the mail because of the lost opportunity to immediately correct their actions that roadside police can provide. After paying those 3 or 4 fines, one is then greeted by a letter informing them of a license suspension... A shitty system by design

In theory speed camera systems could instantly report your offending via sms and you'd instantly know to pull your head in. Just don't read the sms while driving cause the next phone camera down the road will catch you and you'll get another sms :mad: I should patent that :rolleyes: :D

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
My Maloo came with a full-sized spare, 20"x8.5" wheel and 245 tire, but still had the yellow 80kmh decal on it.
Yes, the temporary wheel decal is just a compliance requirement because of staggered wheels fitted to many variants.

Seems some needs to be warned that an 8.5" wheel on one side of an axle with a 9" wheel on the other side may perform oddly if the driver is behaving like an idiot on the road / in the wet :rolleyes:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
The best I struck with wheels was a BMW Z4.....Had the can of swish....

Bloke got a flat that actually stuffed the alloy rim by a spanner going through the tyre into the rim...

He was extremely lucky that we had a Commodore rim round we could sell him to get him out the poo.

Don't know the cost of a new rim but would have cost a pretty penny

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yes, the temporary wheel decal is just a compliance requirement because of staggered wheels fitted to many variants.

Seems some needs to be warned that an 8.5" wheel on one side of an axle with a 9" wheel on the other side may perform oddly if the driver is behaving like an idiot on the road / in the wet :rolleyes:

It's more the car handles differently, be it on the front or rear.

Commonly called trying to idiot proof incase some twit has a prang and tries to blame the different sized wheel...

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride

Yes, I found that retarded too. Why the af does a full size tyre on a full size rim have 80kph on it!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Of the Commodores I've owned the 2007 ve ss ute had a full size spare. Can't remember what the vt clubsport or the vz r8 had but the ve redline I now own has a full size spare as does the vs ute.

Thing about my personal experience is that my SV6, which was originally owned by Avis rentals had a full size spare but the SSV with the sunroof option ticked only had a space saver spare. Not at all what you would expect!