Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

So I got an FX ??

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
Thread Revival alert!

The old FX has been sitting for a while waiting wiring and in the meantime I've had second thoughts. The 186 & trimatic are fitted ready to go and the ute is far from original so I'm not worried about that, but I've scored a VS Column shift auto ute (not picked up yet) I'm guessing it'll have an 3.8l Ecotech in it. apparently it drives & runs & stops.

I like the idea of a V6 (maybe supercharged) and a column shift.

what's everyone's thoughts on the quality of the column shift mechanism if I use the VS steering column and the motor & box out of these things? are they reliable, economical?

I've had nothing much to do with these little V6's :rolleyes:

FX2.jpg
FX1.jpg

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
You said that the FX is waiting wiring. Are you doing it yourself?
Reason I ask is that putting an Ecotec in the FX will require a lot more wiring that the 186.
Having said that, an ecotec in an FX would make it go better than the 186.
Try googling around to verify the feasability. Also, I think this swap would require engineering - not sure on that, maybe others can help?
There used to be a mob in Moree (?) that did V6 conversions - That is/was their business name. Find them and give them a call.
Keep us posted.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
For the nostalgia.
The whole movie “The FJ Holden”
(Link doesn’t show but it still works)
I know it’s not an FX but close enough.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Thread Revival alert!

The old FX has been sitting for a while waiting wiring and in the meantime I've had second thoughts. The 186 & trimatic are fitted ready to go and the ute is far from original so I'm not worried about that, but I've scored a VS Column shift auto ute (not picked up yet) I'm guessing it'll have an 3.8l Ecotech in it. apparently it drives & runs & stops.

I like the idea of a V6 (maybe supercharged) and a column shift.

what's everyone's thoughts on the quality of the column shift mechanism if I use the VS steering column and the motor & box out of these things? are they reliable, economical?

I've had nothing much to do with these little V6's :rolleyes:

View attachment 248020View attachment 248019
They will be really fun. Economy won’t be its best attribute but it won’t be painful. I love the idea.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Go the 186 ...................... coz I love the 186 .............. a good set of extractors .......... luvly sound ........... easy to work on ............. 186 XU-1 spec, noice..
But I have no idea how easy it is to get parts now. Chooks teeth ?

Magnum61

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Magnum
Go the 186 ...................... coz I love the 186 .............. a good set of extractors .......... luvly sound ........... easy to work on ............. 186 XU-1 spec, noice..
Parts are pretty easy to get still.
The 186 has been rebuilt with a bit of a cam, Single Holley carb & extractors but haven't started it yet. :rolleyes:

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Red/blue and black motor parts are still common place.... :)

And I'm with you....Stick with the ole 186 just to be diifferent...Everyone these days goes for modern stuff, like the V6's

mirrabucca

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pack (Devil Yellow)
Parts are pretty easy to get still.
The 186 has been rebuilt with a bit of a cam, Single Holley carb & extractors but haven't started it yet. :rolleyes:
Haven't started it yet and already you are considering a swap? Give the old girl a chance.
Once you work on it to make it go and it rewards you by going, there's no going back.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Methinks everything up to 70's untill 1980(?) selector on driver's then went to passenger side with commodores...there are probably ways around it on forum builds.

Kind of like the straight 6 idea to make slow ol' cruiser with the sounds assuming it wont need engineers report & already been registered with red/blue motor.

If need engineering etc for rego for straight 6 then put in whatever ya want...