Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Slow 0-100

Nate420

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
I have never tested 0-100kmph in this car before and i have owned it for 10+ years.

TBH i have no clue the best way to time the car so i just recorded, put in drive and put my foot down.
Wish i could manual shift but unfortunately the rpm tachometer doesn't work will be getting that fixed soon.

It feels like it shifted into second way to early maybe this is the cause for the slow time?

car is fully serviced, has a mace memcal, extractors, catback 2.5". apart from that shes stock. I never thrashed the car in the time i owned it and had regular service.
I also have some vt ss mags that are 235/457 r17 size. perhaps this is the cause i think vp s2 only had 15" stock

Does this seem right? i timed about 11 seconds.
gonna hit up another run tomorrow and see how it goes.

Last edited:

Nate420

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
Back in the day the stock 5 litre did 0-100 in about 7.3 seconds:
https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/holden_commodore_VN_technical_specifications#6
Are you sure your shift cable is correctly adjusted?

I have not looked at the shift cable at all. I'll get on it.

I have a friend telling me that ever 1 inch over stock size of rear tyre will reduce time by about 1 second. I have no idea if this is true but i do remeber when i put this vt ss (17") mags on over my vp ss (15") mags the acceleration seemed to be lacking.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
A VT SS mag wheel isn't exactly light, your original wheels would have had less rotating mass and that means better acceleration.

We are talking about 30yo cars here. I had my old VN down to under 7 seconds but it required a few more mods than what you have and it was a manual.

Nate420

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
A VT SS mag wheel isn't exactly light, your original wheels would have had less rotating mass and that means better acceleration.

We are talking about 30yo cars here. I had my old VN down to under 7 seconds but it required a few more mods than what you have and it was a manual.

I'm not expecting insane times but mid 11 second is really bad. My uncles vp still does about 7 seconds stock more ks than mine.
I wish i kept my old VP ss mags but i thought the vt ss mags looked way better, little did i know at the time it ruined my acceleration :(

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'd say there is a lot more to it. Start with the basics, full service, make sure the injectors clean and everything is working as it should.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
That's a tired old girl mate. I agree some trans love might get some snap back but all bets are off with performance at this age

Nate420

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
I'd say there is a lot more to it. Start with the basics, full service, make sure the injectors clean and everything is working as it should.

I have spent about 6 grand in the last month doing everything from full suspension, service, exhuast. i have run injector cleaner and run 98 ron fuel with the injector cleaner in it. Only think i havn't done service wise is check the leads, new spark plugs (mine are not old anyway) and a new fuel filter (replaced about 2 years ago). I have a full ignition kit brand new on its way with plugs leads and new coil packs. apart from that i'm all up to spec according the the commodore book service schedule.