Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Shaking steering about 90kms/hr

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
Hey all

Just had the front end done on our VZ Calais. New strut bearings and rubbers, rebuilt steering rack, new tie rod ends, new Z bar bushes.

The car has had 2 wheels alignments and balances since the job was done and all is sweet, well thats until we do 90kms or over. As soon as we get to 90kms or higher the steering starts to shake. Now I have worked on a lot of cars in my time but have never had an issue like this that a wheel alignment/balance hasnt fixed. Its very strange. Now when I say steering wheel shake Im not talking a violent shake just a suttle one but its still not right. It shouldnt do it at all, especially given the work that has been done recently.

Anyone have any ideas as to what it may be? There is no other issue other than when at higher speeds. No knocking noises or anything, so I am baffled. Help please.

Cheers

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Aftermarket/buckled rims? China tyres? Tyres scalloped or out of round?

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
Aftermarket/buckled rims? China tyres? Tyres scalloped or out of round?

Unfortunately not that simple fix. Brand new wheels and tyres on it too. Not cheapies either. I have had rims out of round before and it effects braking and the drive at any speed above 60kms.

From doing a bit of hunting around on the forum, I would suspect that the balance was not done correctly which is what I initially thought. I am going to take it to another company to get it done again. Perhaps the first guys are just bozos. Fingers crossed. At least I wasnt charged the last time and maybe thats because they didnt do anything!

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
Unfortunately not that simple fix. Brand new wheels and tyres on it too. Not cheapies either. I have had rims out of round before and it effects braking and the drive at any speed above 60kms.

From doing a bit of hunting around on the forum, I would suspect that the balance was not done correctly which is what I initially thought. I am going to take it to another company to get it done again. Perhaps the first guys are just bozos. Fingers crossed. At least I wasnt charged the last time and maybe thats because they didnt do anything!

Also check wheel bearing adjustment.
Depending on what bushes etc were used can also make a difference.
If they are not genuine they can sometimes show up a vibration which was built into the car but has been kept at bay with genuine bushes/rubbers.
Have you tried putting the back wheels on the front or even throw a set of stocks on the front and see if there is a difference.
I know how annoying it is.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
No adjustment on the wheel bearings, any play means they are cooked. If they were that far gone they would be making a lot of noise.

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
No adjustment on the wheel bearings, any play means they are cooked. If they were that far gone they would be making a lot of noise.

Yeah I would have to agree, they would be making noise and it would surely also be an issue under braking.

I did contemplate swapping the wheels over but bit of a pain in the .....

Just see what the next balance does. If its not that then I will do the wheelie swap.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Is the hub bore the right size on your new wheels? Studs alone won't align your wheels correctly hence throwing everything out of balance.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
^^ worth a look with aftermarket wheels, may need rings fitted to the hub the make it a snug fit. Also due to the fact that if the rim doesnt fit snugly on the hub the load is transferred to the wheel studs which can result in them failing ie snapping off.

crumpledoor#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II 1997 BT1 5.0
Is the hub bore the right size on your new wheels? Studs alone won't align your wheels correctly hence throwing everything out of balance.

^^ worth a look with aftermarket wheels, may need rings fitted to the hub the make it a snug fit. Also due to the fact that if the rim doesnt fit snugly on the hub the load is transferred to the wheel studs which can result in them failing ie snapping off.

Holy f'ing sheite!!! That worries the cr*p out of me, my missus drives this car 95% of the time with my boys in it. Where can I get these rings. I'm sure they wouldn't cost much and to be honest I don't care for the safety of my family. We just did a trip to Melbourne. I am counting my lucky stars. I'm not saying that this is our issue and wont know until I check but its definitely worth the check.

Mags off stockies on tomorrow for the double check.