Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Here we go again
VY V6 2004

I replaced the LIM gaskets and water pump. After starting car it idles really rough as if it’s missing or vac leak. During the LIM gasket repair I removed the alternator and found the worst wiring job that goes to the alternator plug/reg. I cut and soldered similar gauged wires but unsure if there’s a specific gauge needed as I needed a quick fix since car initially didn’t start since those wires were broken. There was also a high pitch hissing sound as if there’s excess current draw from a PowerPoint when I connected the negative terminal - since repairing the wiring that high pitch noise is gone and it starts but now it idles rough and can hear the high pitch noise while it idles.

Battery V when off is 12.6V
Idling V is about 14.4V
Checked alternator V when off it’s about 12.2V

Check engine also comes on after a while and it stalled once while driving, any ideas? I’ve attached a video and you can hear the high pitch nosie

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0348.jpeg
    IMG_0348.jpeg
    151.3 KB · Views: 78

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
It's a vac leak that's causing the high pitch sound. Check if the gasket between your top half and bottom manifold is seated properly. If metal I bet a tab has been squashed not sealing properly.

The rough idle could be water in the cylinders but with a vac leak as well its hard to tell.

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
I replaced that gasket between the plenum and the lower manifold with a crappy paper one no idea why they sent that I thought it was a stiff cardboard type. The original one was a metal with those tabs. Since that gasket was really delicate it ended up tearing in few places but I didn’t do anything about it thought it would still seal properly. I can’t find any vac leaks I made sure everything was in and even sprayed soapy water but nothing. Maybe it’s that gasket then?

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
It's a vac leak that's causing the high pitch sound. Check if the gasket between your top half and bottom manifold is seated properly. If metal I bet a tab has been squashed not sealing properly.

The rough idle could be water in the cylinders but with a vac leak as well its hard to tell.
Another weird thing is that noise came when I put the negative terminal on battery before I repaired the wiring on the alternator. Once I repaired it, it went away when engine off but when engine on that similar noise. Not sure if alternator is cooked but the voltage readings are fine

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Unsure on the alt. That previous wiring was dodgy as. Check voltage output on the main B terminal and the other 2 wires you've repaired.

Some do squeal, but honestly cannot remember the fix if it's a replacement, earth or something else.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Hmm,
Vac leak possible,
Did you put the EGR PCV valve back together correctly ?
and didn’t leave out or lose any parts from it ?

Correction : PCV Valve

Last edited:

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Hmm,
Vac leak possible,
Did you put the EGR valve back together correctly ?
and didn’t lose any parts from it ?
Does the EGR pipe have a spring in it? That’s the only piece left over from the entire job

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Took the top plenum cover off and found watery substance sitting at the back? I flogged WD-40 and soapy water around the engine bay so definitely a vaccum leak since it’s sucking in the liquids. The gasket between plenum and lower manifold is a bit out of alignment and was torn in few places so suspecting that gasket is introducing unwanted air and since it can’t hold a steady idle and idling under 1000 but above 850 there’s a lot of extra air bypassing the MAF and IAC

Glaze

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Anyone know where this spring would go?
IMG_0355.jpeg
IMG_0354.jpeg

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Took the top plenum cover off and found watery substance sitting at the back? I flogged WD-40 and soapy water around the engine bay so definitely a vaccum leak since it’s sucking in the liquids. The gasket between plenum and lower manifold is a bit out of alignment and was torn in few places so suspecting that gasket is introducing unwanted air and since it can’t hold a steady idle and idling under 1000 but above 850 there’s a lot of extra air bypassing the MAF and IAC
I think @krusing means the pvc valve?

I did the lim gaskets last year, the kit l got was from repco. The gasket between the lim & plenum was paper, very thin cardboard. Like yours it tore.
I took the old steel one & used a very thin rtv gasket on either side of the metal gasket.

Then took the lim back off. Had some used mace metal lim gaskets, so cleaned them back up, & replaced the crap repco ones.

I'm assuming you used the orange end seals for the ends of the lim?
While doing the end seals did you put a dollop rtv sealant on the corners?

I used a thin rtv sealant over all the surfaces orange seals.

Lastly did you connect the small hose from under the throttle body?